Oh those killer whales!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Killer whales off Palos Verdes on Saturday might explain the frantic, swim-step-hopping sea lion we encountered less than 3 days before in that area. Dumb luck is the only reason we got to see these members of the dolphin family, and we were doubly lucky that whale expert, Alisa Schulman-Janiger, was already there.

Project Coordinator for the American Cetacean Society, Alisa has been studying killer whales (Orcinus orca) for 27 years. Interestingly, 4 distinct populations of killer whale occur off the west coast of Canada and the U.S. Alisa identified this pod as members of the “Transients”, which feed exclusively on marine mammals, not fish.

This group had already made a sea lion kill and here’s proof.

After feeding, breaching may occur…

There were several males; this is the Big Boy.

Two females and a male.

Two juveniles and two calves were present; one calf is less than a year old. You can hear a what sounds like a youngster vocalize once in Phil’s video. It sounds like flatulence. Seriously!

Alisa has previously identified all 12 individuals. Each orca has a distinctive eye patch and uniquely shaped saddle behind their dorsal fin, which also varies slightly in shape and may have a nick or two. Here are 3 different individuals.

The matriarch has been seen locally several times since first seen in Monterey in 1991. She has 4 kids and 2 grandkids. According to Alisa, this killer whale is SUPER boat-friendly. The rest of the pod certainly wasn’t shy either. Countless times, we watched massive bodies swimming toward and under our boat; one turned on its side as if to look at us, and one male ran its dorsal fin along our freeboard.

A tangle of courtship and mating ensued; one immature male tried to get in on the action, but both Phil and I missed a critical moment. That’s all I’m going to say.

One behavior that I enjoy watching most is their synchronized movement.

The End(s).

blue_pixel.gif

Last edited:
Thanks to both you and Phil for sharing your awesome experience. Hopefully I get a chance to see one of our local pods up close someday.

GREAT Pics Thanks for the effort to post them.:D

Wow Merry! Magnificent encounter / shots! Poseidon's blessings were upon you on that day:D Did you come back with any noteworthy underwater shots from your last few excursions?

WOW!. What an amazing encounter! Thanks for sharing! Love seeing your pics and reading of your adventures.:grouphug:

Amazing pictures - what an incredible site in our own spot of the ocean! We were headed back on the ferry last Sunday from Catalina where I noticed a large patch of gulls and an even larger dorsal (was it??!), grouping around a few miles outside of the breakwater. I'd like to say it was an orca, but we zoomed past too quickly to be sure. Whatever it was, it was large! Hard to believe it is so close off shore.

That's terrific! Alisa would be very, very grateful and interested to see those. Possible to post them, please?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom