Gulf Trip Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverW

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

My go to buddy and I are in the preliminary stages of planning a trip down to the Gulf of Mexico, ie we were talking about diving the other day and the idea of another trip seemed too irresistible to pass on. So, what I'm interested in hearing from the collective wisdom of the Internet is the "must see" spots and the places that sound good on paper but are actually more trouble than they are worth. Also, she is new to diving and on a student's budget and I'm a relatively cheap SOB with only a bit more experience than her. She'll be renting gear but I own mine already, and we'll probably be driving down from Minnesota because road tripping is half the fun! And also because I kind of want to hit some dive sites on the way down South...

Anyways, that is likely more random info than you need to know, but I would appreciate any incite onto some awesome dive sites that having dove at you now feel your life would have been incomplete if you had sat that dive out.

All the best,
W

This is a post from me and Dr. Dive from another thread. I think Pensacola is a great diving destination. Most all the stuff is covered in this post, but we both forget the sunken army tanks and military aircraft among others.

+1, jasonb,
Most destinations count their sites in the teens or twenties at best, some in the single digits. Pensacola has over 120 on the list, and that doesn't count the natural bottom and private sites. Some sites, like the I-10 Bridge Rubble Sites are so big, they could count for several sites each. Depths range from 25 - 200+ feet, with some shore dive sites thrown in for good measure. The "O", tugs, barges, navy dive tenders, crew boats, historical wrecks, it just goes on and on. Temps range into the 60s in winter to mid 80s in summer. Sharks, we got 'em. Spearfishing, we do it. Lobster, sure, two kinds. Y'all come see us.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
Dr Dive Pensacola, FL - Home of the USS Oriskany
drdive@drdive.com

QUOTE=jasonb751;6147090]That's easy, Pensacola. We have it all, beach, wreck, cave, shallow, deep,great spear fishing, and can't forget the Oriskany. Plus, it's dirt cheap to live here. Only problem, it's kinda cold in the winter.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

DiverW, I've dived a fair bit from Destin and Panama City. The wrecks I've seen are pretty good, and generally somewhat in tact. Good dives from 60- 120'. Nothing tropical (well it was usually Feb./March), temperate reefs, not much in the way of coral. Good diving, nothing I couldn't live without. Better than Nova Scotia, though.

Good 70-90' wrecks in PCB I would expect the water temps are in the high 50's this time of the year. Short boat ride out as well.

Thanks for the mutual bump, jasonb. Tanks and planes are on the list. Hopefully some folks will come to see us.

Dr. Dive

This is a post from me and Dr. Dive from another thread. I think Pensacola is a great diving destination. Most all the stuff is covered in this post, but we both forget the sunken army tanks and military aircraft among others.

+1, jasonb,
Most destinations count their sites in the teens or twenties at best, some in the single digits. Pensacola has over 120 on the list, and that doesn't count the natural bottom and private sites. Some sites, like the I-10 Bridge Rubble Sites are so big, they could count for several sites each. Depths range from 25 - 200+ feet, with some shore dive sites thrown in for good measure. The "O", tugs, barges, navy dive tenders, crew boats, historical wrecks, it just goes on and on. Temps range into the 60s in winter to mid 80s in summer. Sharks, we got 'em. Spearfishing, we do it. Lobster, sure, two kinds. Y'all come see us.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
drdive@drdive.com

QUOTE=jasonb751;6147090]That's easy, Pensacola. We have it all, beach, wreck, cave, shallow, deep,great spear fishing, and can't forget the Oriskany. Plus, it's dirt cheap to live here. Only problem, it's kinda cold in the winter.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

We go down to Pensacola all the time and use "H2O Below" and they are awesome! 850-291-3501/850-492-0333. Captain Douglas (owner) runs to all the sites from just offshore to the Oriskany. Tell them "The Mississippi Boys" sent you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom