Diving in a beautiful dump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The wind and rain from this week washed debris down gutters, storm drains and cement rivers, leaving floating islands of trash in the ocean. We spent the first half of our day picking up after litterbugs before making it to the south side of Palos Verdes. Once the trash pickup was done, the ocean looked as beautiful as it ever does.
Catalina.jpg

We arrived at Marineland to the sound of an urchin boat compressor and a glassy surface. There was no debate about where to dive.
Terranea.jpg

Terranea2.jpg

The visibility was better than thirty feet in the upper water, with about fifteen feet on the reef.
Buchanan's Reef is known for three things; Nudibranchs, rockfish and anchors. There were no surprises today. I found an old anchor similar to this one, but couldn't get a shot with my macro lens.
1388380_f260.jpg

The reefs are covered with fish, nudibranchs, worms, sponges, hydroids, anemones, snails, bryozoan and algae. I could spend all day at Buchanan's and not get bored.
Marineland16-1.jpg

Marineland17-1.jpg

Marineland23-1.jpg

Marineland15-1.jpg

Marineland14-1.jpg

Marineland13-1.jpg

Marineland9-1.jpg

Marineland8.jpg

Marineland10-1.jpg

Marineland12-1.jpg

Marineland11-1.jpg

Marineland18-1.jpg

Marineland20-1.jpg

Marineland21.jpg

Among the nudibranchs was a tiny Dendrodoris behrensi, the first one I've seen away from Neptune Cove.
Marineland5-1.jpg

Marineland3-1.jpg

Marineland4-1.jpg

Marineland7-1.jpg

Marineland22-1.jpg

Marineland24.jpg

Marineland26-1.jpg
We decided to skip a second dive upon surfacing to a cold rain. It's been awhile since we had to use the heater after a dive. Conditions are predicted to be even better tomorrow. We put trash bags on our list.

It's pretty rainy and windy in my neck of the woods. Exceptional pictures!

Buchanon's Reef is beautiful! I wish more boats went there....for those of us who do not have our own transportation out there :wink:

Great shots!

It's a long haul, but could be made from either Long Point or Pt. Vicente Fishing Access as a beach dive. We were diving near the southern tip of the reef on Ross' map (He spelled Buchanan's wrong).
I wonder what they will call Pt. Vicente Fishing Access after January 1st. :)

Old Marineland Divers Map Rev14.jpg

Awesome of you two to be out picking up garbage!! You rock in my book, and I will say the world needs more people like you :)

Great photos too, thanks for sharing :)

Reactions: Jax
Great photos. What is in Marineland15-1.jpg? It looks similar to a sea pansy. Also, what is the nudibranch in Marineland3-1.jpg? I have not seen one of these before. Thanks for posting these.

Marineland10-1.jpg

This is a Christmas picture! (The rock behind the fish looks green, and the fish looks like an ornament suspended from it.)

I wonder what they will call Pt. Vicente Fishing Access after January 1st.
:clapping:

:coolingoff:Invert Overload! Stunning variety of critters! Kudo's for cleaning up after the sheeple. The first vermilion rockfish capture needs to be matted and hung on a wall. Excellent juvenile Starry as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom