Diving this week in the keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msubryan

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Came to the keys today for a week of diving. Weather seems to be blowing pretty good. We definately plan on a few dives with CRD, and one day in KW to do the Vandeburg. How different are the sea conditions from key largo to kw with this NE wind? Are some reefs better protected than others from it? Willing to go anywhere on hwy1 to get a couple good dives in.

Yep winds are up right ow but that's due to a storm passing through. They were at 11kts at 5PM. We're expecting them to go down by morning. Should be a good week for diving.

Good Diving,

NDBC - Station MLRF1

This is the weather station on the Molasses Reef Tower. The winds are in the 15-25 knot range now. Some may go out, many will be seasick. Waves are probably in the 4-6 ft. range.

The visitor center at Pennekamp has a beach and a dredged pit off the beach. Usually there are Tarpon and lobsters to visit there. The viz will not be what you visit the keys for, but we've done it many times when blown out otherwise. People are shore diving Blue Heron Bridge near West Palm, it's an amazing place. Google it or check out the BHB Trolls thread here. It will be a few degrees colder than Key Largo in the water. We have had winds for weeks up here and a lot of diving is difficult or just shut down. BHB is almost always divable, but the viz can be short, so check here or call Force E dive shop just down the street in their Riviera Beach location.

Last edited:
Todays report from one op at MO was 4-6ft 50 feet viz

Yep...I got that one wrong. Hopefully it will settle down when that front pushes through.

Good Diving,

Thanks for the help. Made ab good dive at Pennecamp today. Got my 12 yr old back in the groove. Got tanks filled at CRD and it looks like they were blown out today as well. Looking to make a shallow reef tomorrow afternoon. Looks like vandenburg on Wed or

Still hoping for an Eagle or SG trip. FKDC is doing double dip on Eagle in am, would be great other than surface interval in 4-6 seas.....

Last edited:
We just got in today and heard all the boats were blown out. My son and I are supposed to take our OW check dives to complete our certifications Wed and Thurs. Wife and daughters want to go on the boat and snorkel. Sure hope the wind lays down!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom