How thick a wetsuit for the Great Lakes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have never had the chance to dive the Great Lakes and I would like to try it next summer. I'm a warm water diver and I have two wetsuits, one is 3mm and the other is a 3/2mm. How thick a wetsuit would I need to dive on some of the shallower wrecks (less than 100 feet) in the summer? I'm thinking about a 5mm fullsuit. Would that do the job?

I can tell you this from my first set of Lake Michigan dives: wrecks at 30-35 feet in July and August have water temperatures in the 63-73 F range, while wrecks at 70-100 feet are in the 41-46 F range. I've done 63 F in a 3 mm full wet suit and hood and been OK, but that was early on in my diving experience and I didn't know better. I've done dives in the 48-52 F range (Monterey, California) in a 7 mm wet suit, and it's not toasty. I've since switched to a drysuit and that makes a huge difference.

I've done quite a few dives dives on wrecks in Superior. Thermoclines below 60 feet pretty much drop into the low 40s. A single dive in a 7mm wetsuit, with an additional hooded vest, might get you through a 30 minute dive. Personally, I wouldn't even consider it without a drysuit...

I would never even consider diving in the Great Lakes without a dry suit.

You could probably get through a short dive in a 7mm wet suit, but you'd be cold and shivering at the end. And you wouldn't want a second dive.

In my area, Lake Ontario and Lake Huron, the typical wetsuit diver uses a two piece 7mm suit, either a Farmer John and jacket or a 7mm with hooded vest. I do not think that a 5mm would be sufficient for most of the dives we do with the exception of the St. Lawrence River where summer temperatures are quite warm. A warm hood and warm gloves are also required. If you want to dive the lakes before June or after October a dry suit is best although I have been ice diving in a wetsuit but the dives were pretty short. Make sure that you have a warm jacket for the surface interval.

If you don't want to learn to use a drysuit, a 7mm full wetsuit with a 5mm hooded shorty (or short plus hood/farmer john) should get through a 30 min dive. Use a 5-7mm hood and 5-7mm gloves or 5-9mm 3-finger mits (<= recommend!!). Booties too of course, 3-5mm.
Esp. if you are going below 60' it might just be too darn cold for you, it's an individual thing. But with the above gear it's well worth a try. Lots of folks dive water down to freezing temps with that setup. More than 30 mins & you're bound to start feeling cold though.
Do respect the feeling when you start to feel cold. It can get worse fast. Don't push it, the prime directive should always be to have fun. :D
You may find you can't so easily do a 2nd dive because the experience of either putting on the wet wetsuit or sitting around for 90min in the wet wetsuit is just too chilling. If you wanna try, pour maybe a 1/2 gallon of very warm water into your suit after gearing up.

Palidan which lake are you diving and which month, end of july first of august has always been best for me in the warmest. bring a warm coat for surface interval as the wind out there will chill you when wet(I would take suit off in between add warm water after donning).

You can dive under mac bridge in a jump suit of 5 mill with no hood or gloves if you are use to that kind of temps, so the hood and gloves will make it doable.

Superior I say drysuit.

I would ask on the GLWC forum and see what they are diving as new divers, and for what charter to to pre book.

Of course, everyone is different. Check the current water temp. and go from there, assuming colder depending on depth. Is thermocline common in those big lakes? Personally I would probably use my 7 mil farmer john, but not if above 65 F.

I've done Superior from summer to slush in a 1/4" full farmer john cold water suit (bib overalls, jacket, cold water hood, 3 finger mitts) and while it was not the most fun I have ever had, it works once the suit gets wets and goes to work. Just don't make any sudden movements to cause new water to come in . . . *that's* pretty intense!

- Tim

Back
Top Bottom