Seattle & 7mils in Nov....is it possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudguppy

Reaction score
Hey...
I'm coming out to Seattle the 11th thru the 18th. I wondered if it was too cold up there to dive in a full 7 mil (since I don't own a dry suit). I wanted to take the DIR-F class, but decided to wait till summer when it would be a little warmer... I don't own a drysuit yet. I'd settle for just one shore dive if I could get by with the wetsuit. Does anyone dive up there this time of year in a 7 mil, or should I leave my diving gear home?
I know it depends a lot on the person, but I'd sure appreciate an opinion or 2, or 3, or.......

Mudguppy

Sure it's possible, the water isn't really much colder in November, but the surface intervals (and changing suck).

That's what the deciding factor was as on the DIR-F class ....surface time and being wet and COLD...in the water wet and COLD....surface time wet and COLD...
Thanks for the input :)

It's possible. I dive with several people who do it. They usually can only take one dive a day though.

Is there a shop you would recommend renting/diving thru?

What part or Seattle will you be in. I know there is alot of Under Water Sport from Olypia up to norther Seattle. There is also a realy nice dive shop in east Seattle that can fill any gas if your into tech. PM if you have a more loc area that your looking into diving at and i might be able to help with a shop that is close.
With the 7 mm that is what i dive in and i just freeze my a$$ off when i get out of the water and have to do any type of SI

I dive a 7mm wetsuit, mainly because I can not afford a drysuit after buying all my equipment. I have to say that so far this year, I am fine on the first dive and then I get cold waiting for the second. If you can find a way to warm up between dives, the second would be alright also.

As far as leaving your gear at home, DON'T.......

I am still diving and will probable continue until the snow falls. By the way, so far this year temps at around 50 - 70 feet are still above 50 degrees. This can change but I don't see it happening soon.

Hi Mudguppy. I enjoyed your trip reports from your cruise on D2D. I traded a couple of messages with you about cruise diving a while back. My wife and I are going on a cruise next week for our 20th anniversary and I'm hoping to get some diving in. She doesn't dive though.

I'm going out this weekend in my 7's in Puget Sound. The S.I. is the only drag, only to be outdone by removing your suit to get back in the car, dry clothes, etc. It certainly get cold, but it beats not diving.

I too am waiting for the dry suit. But I figure if I hold out a little while longer I can tell my grandkids...."why when I used to dive in Puget Sound we didn't have no fancy dry suits........up hill.....both ways..." or something like that.

I know this message is a little after the fact, but I thought I'd say 'hey'.

cheers,

Greg

aka: dawg_diver

If you have a car, try a boat dive trip with Pacific Adventures.
http://www.pacadventure.com/
The cabin on their boat is warm, they take great care of you, and they have a warm fresh water shower thinge that gets the old 7mm warmed up a bit before that second dive. First Class operation!

Diving in a wetsuit this time of year depends on what the weather's doing. Air temps can range from low 20's to high 50's from one day to the next. And if the wind's blowing that can make things more difficult. There's only a few days during the winter when I'd say don't do it ... but you may have to limit your diving to a single dive per day.

Drop me a PM if you want a local "guide" while you're out here. I won't be starting my job for a couple more weeks, so I'm available for week-day diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom