Sherwood Magnum - good deal or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My Sherwood Magnum alone was around $370 at my LDS. That wasn't including an octo or console.
It handles well in Monterey waters (52F / 11C). I'm not sure how capable it is for colder waters however.
The manual says it has passed "EN250:1993 for regulators used below 10C (operating at 4C)"

It uses a closed piston first stage. To equalize it leaks air from an equalization port, not enough to affect your SAC, but enough of a constant tiny stream to get your buddy to notice.

After dives your first stage will still equalize, even after changing tanks, so sometimes it may be hard to tell if your O-ring is leaking or if it's just the equalization port. I find that putting your thumb over the equalization port stops the hissing so you can tell which leak is which.

The Magnum regulator package (first and second stages) should ship with 2 exhaust tees (a small and a wide). So if you don't get them then you're missing out.

The Sherwood line is regarded as universally serviceable on your international travels.

Leisurepro has the Sherwood Magnum first and second stages for $244.95 and the three-hole console with guages for $214.95. You can buy a serviceable octo for $65 and up.

The Sherwood Magnum sells for $250 everywhere I see it advertised. I am not looking at an LDS so likely more there.

IMO skip the console. I wear a computer in the wrist and if you want a SPG I have something like this:

OMS Brass PSI Pressure Gauge, (52mm)

Or you can get a AI computer and have it all on the wrist.

Thsanks for the replies. Price is OK, but not good enough to rush.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom