Neoprene neck seal HELP need!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dantfarley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
I just received my Whites Kodiak in the mail today-bought here on SB no warranty, Neoprene neck and wrist seals. Wrists are perfect but the neck seal is literally turning me purple.
Please Help members
What do I do??

You can either cut the seal down so you are left with a wider opening or try putting something round and wide in there to stretch the opening thought that will take time and will not make a huge difference.

Start with trying to stretch the neck seal out. On my previous dry suit I had the same issue. Used a glass bowl to stretch out the seal. Let it sit for a couple days and it was much better. Worth a try.

let it sit with a tank in the neck for a couple of days. If you still need it bigger then wrap like a towel around the tank and then put the tank in it. You can not cut it open like a latex seal, that would only shorten the seal causing a leak potential. If you can not stretch it out you will have to spend the 150 to have a new larger neck seal installed.

I had to stretch my neck seal on a AL80 for 2 days and it still felt tight. It took about 10 dives to feel fine.

+1 for stretching it over a cylinder. If that doesn't work, you'll need a new seal in a more appropriate size. Trimming a neoprene seal is risky, they don't work and aren't shaped like latex seals (which can be trimmed).

It'd only make a difference if the seals were cone-shaped. Latex neck seals are often tapered, which means removing material from the top of the seal increases the size. Neoprene seals are often regular diameter, so trimming material won't increase the size... but will reduce the surface area in contact with the neck that creates an effective seal.

I guess it depends on how the seal is shaped.

I used a volleyball (partilly inflated to about 1/2" > circumfrence than my neck) and left it inplace for several days... Worked great!

Back
Top Bottom