Race to the Bottom of the Sea.... A new kind of "Space Race"....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danvolker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
….. I was just on a huge video shoot where I and my team ( GUE) were the only underwater videographers and u/w photographers for a major first phase shake down event in the “Race to the Bottom of the Sea” event…..a Race which pits 5 or 6 of the wealthiest billionaires on the planet against each other in a race to be the first to reach the bottom of the Challenger Deep in the Pacific, 36,000 feet deep. The subs involved are outrageous, and the video footage spectacular for TV. The whole story of an “Inner Space Race” is compelling as well, and should quickly replace the “Space Race”.

My Team is supplying the u/w video to all the major news agencies in covering this phase one event, and there should be great stories on air regarding this soon….they will be using our video footage for the underwater portions….the sub drivers were taking photos of us, the divers, shooting them as well…

See the video http://sfdj.com/Videos.aspx ( *** note...watch Part 2 of the anders1a sub video 2nd....watch the sub video that does NOT say part 2 first :) )

AND.....Anyone who knows me is familiar with how long I have been DIR.... As an outgrowth of this project, with all the team related aspects we see coming up on the horizon, Sandra and I have decided to take the GUE Fundamentals course, and to adopt the GUE protocols 100%. The projects are just too big, for each member not to be exactly on the same page. Additionally, while I think I am pretty good in the water, Errol and Bob Sherwood are likely to offer me MORE tools for me to use in my "arsenal" of techniques and skills that I can use in going after the best videos I can possibly get, in some increasingly complex and technical or challenging environments.

Thanks Dan -- but there go the long fins!

I, for one, will be very interested in hearing your take, and Sandra's take, on Fundies.

BTW, if our weather gets worse and I really miss the sun, any chance of spending a few days with you the end of either Jan or Feb?

Thanks Dan -- but there go the long fins!

I, for one, will be very interested in hearing your take, and Sandra's take, on Fundies.

BTW, if our weather gets worse and I really miss the sun, any chance of spending a few days with you the end of either Jan or Feb?

Yep,there go the long fins :) I can still use them for freediving though :)
Our fundies class is jan 18 to 22 , so this would be the only time I would be unlikely to be able to dive with you guys. We would love to take you and Lynne around BHB this time, as well as to some of the Goliath Grouper sites you may have seen in some of my videos....
I used the jetfins for about 2 hours last sunday, practicing the GUE kicks and the "feathering" I use with the big long fins, to prevent camera shake with fin propulsion....while the techniques required are quite different, after an hour or so of trying different sculling related modifications to normal kicks, I got the same video shooting effects with the jets I am used to with the DiveR long blades...so, I am fine with this now....fact is, as I played around facing into wrecks and objects where the current can push you too close for video focus, I found the reverse kick IS actually "easier" and more effective for this critical video shooting technique... But you knew that already :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom