AV-1 modification Overheating issue.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flg8r90

Reaction score
Anyone have a solution to this or any other AV-1 mods or upgrades please chime in.

Thanks ! :D

I also put an AV2 heat exchanger and transmission from a damaged scooter into a 12 volt AV1 and reconfigured the NiMH battery to 12 volts 40 Amps. It runs over 80 minutes on medium nonstop without overheating ( a big AV1 problem). It is a bit faster on medium than the AV2 on high. It is even faster on high but I don't have anything to keep up with it on an hour dive so I haven't tested it thoroughly.

I saw your post in another thread. I'm interested in modifying my Dacor Sea Sprint which is actually an AV-1. Overheating problem is killing me ! I looked on the schematic for the AV-2 and could not find the "heat exchanger". Would your Nimh 12v 40ah battery work on a non-modifed AV-1/Seasprint ? If you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Any other tips you may care to share ? Didn't want to hijack the other thread and PM didn't work. Thanks for any advice you care to give !

It is called a radiation plate in the AV2 Evolution, but it might be prohibitive to buy all the parts. I tried clamping a few pounds of aluminum heat sink to an AV1 motor inside the case and it delayed the overheating a little but you can't fight the heat build up inside the case. Do not disconnect the thermal relay, when it pops at 160 degrees F the core of the motor is near 300. It was not designed to be used with a higher capacity battery than originally supplied with, which weighed 17 pounds. It would go dead just as it was getting hot. If you are getting less than 40 minutes on medium before overheating try washing out the motor with electrical cleaner, soak the brushes in it to remove any oil build up in them, and make sure the armature is clean. Check the bearings and gears. Transmission grease vaporizes in the case and soaks everything. Replace with a high temperature grease. Good luck

Some guys put a baggie full of ice in the battery compartment between dives

Back
Top Bottom