What did you buy but eventually replaced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is a variation on a theme, but I was looking at a few threads in the New Diver section and questions regarding gear. Then I began thinking about all of the gear I bought when I started diving then realized it was either not necessary or need to be replaced. Of all the money I could have saved off the bat.

I did go straight to a back inflate BC so did not have to replace a jacket style BC.

Lost my dive knife on my first dive. After that I no longer buy expensive titanium dive knives, I buy cheapest steel knife I can find under $20 and closer to $10. Very high likelihood of surrendering to King Neptune at some point, would prefer to donate something cheap.

Snorkel, need I say more? $65 waste of money.

Split fins, well ... actually happy with mine but after all the post on split fin haters thinking maybe should invest in blade fin as well. (maybe free dive fins if ever get a chance demo them with Dan Volker)

Dive lights, I'm now changing all my xenon/halogen bulb lights to LED lights. Added benefit is I can also use the LED's topside as flashlight. It's amazing how well they work at my barbecue at night !!

I almost bought a console dive computer. I'm so glad I didn't because now I want a wrist mounted air integrated computer. You don't really know what you want or need for your style of diving until you've had a few dives or been exposed to other dive gear.

So, for all of you veteran and newbies alike, any advice for others on what to skip or buy to avoid the cost of having to replace later?

In a word? Everything. Jacket BC led to BP/W. Yoke reg set turned into a dozen sets of DIN regs. AL tanks turned to LP steels turned to HP steels and then ended up with AL tanks again (because I got rid of the originals) when I needed stage bottles.

Computers and lights are probably the most often replaced for me. Started with a nitrox computer, needed a multi-gas computer - got one, started diving trimix, needed a new computer. Began diving pushing it further, needed a second trimix computer...

Had the cheap hand cannon, bought all sorts of lights thinking it would be what I needed before I finally bought the canister light.

Advice - buy the gear for the type of diving you think you're going to want to do (and then buy for one or two levels beyond that just to be safe). I probably spent 2-3x what I needed to in all buying crap and gadgets and then replacing it with what I really needed all along.

Easy question

--lost knife (cheapest), replaced (cheapest)
--replaced used hood that disintegrated
--replaced steel 120 tank (too heavy) with 2 AL80s & a steel 71.2
--replaced standard fins with splits won at the Treasure Hunt
--replaced buckle fin straps with spring ones
--replaced lost bought snorkel with snorkel that was found (also use mask found with snorkel instead of original mask I bought)
--still on my first computer but on my 3rd dive watch

A very easy question.... My whole first set of gear. Frustrated with myself that I jumped right in to scuba diving by buying gear rather than spending a few months reading scubaboard. The biggest regret is the fancy, expensive, dohickey of a computer. At my level (beginner) I feel I should be focusing more on tables and relying less on the magical computer to do all my work.

I'll break the trend a little bit and say that my 5in UK Titanium knife has still been with me from day one. Best locking mechanism I've ever seen apart from Wenokas :D

Things I've replaced have been:
- primary torch (Princeton Torrent -> Intova Compact w/ oxycheq lightsock)
- Hose lengths on my reg
- Computer Console (went to wrist mounts and brass SPG)
- Booties (first pair wore out)
- Gloves (first pair tore at the seams; Aqualung Kevlar Aleutian Kevlars are still holding out fine though)
- BC, technically it's the same but with heavy modifications to it......
- Wrist slate (Now-days I just clip off a small slate when I need it)
- Air 2 (I went to a bungee backup)

Computer. Had a console non AI. Bought a Datamask, wish I had spent the money to start with. I gotta say, I never bought anything I didn't like. I just found things I liked better.

BCD
Buddy Commando - Newer Buddy Commando - Dacor ProRig - Zeagle Ranger - Halcyon Eclipse

Regs
Apeks T50 - Poseidon Cyclon - Poseidon Jetstream - Scubapro S600

Fins
Mares X3 - Force Fins

Computer

Suunto Vyper - Apeks Quantum - Suunto D9

This is pretty similar to THIS long running thread . . .

I replaced my original BC with a backplate system. I replaced my split fins with blade fins (of which I now have several kinds). I replaced my hand-held dive lights with canister lights. I replaced my original drysuit, twice. I eventually replaced my original regulators, although there wasn't anything wrong with the ones I had. (There were other reasons for the replacement.) I have replaced my hood twice -- they wear out. I have replaced quite a few backup lights, because they flood or the switches break. I replaced my original console computer with a wrist-mount, and then replaced that one with one with more features, and then replaced THAT one with one I could actually READ . . .

I do believe that there is now nothing at all left of the equipment I bought when I got certified.

Not replaced yet, but soon...

Button gauge for my pony bottle. Can barely read the damn thing on dry land its so small. Had a spare transmitter for my computer that I'm using in addition to the button gauge for now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom