Is "the first rule of Scubaboard is that you don't talk about Scubaboard?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koozemani

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In another thread I started many of the posters stated that they don't talk about Scubaboard with other divers. I fall into that catagory and was wondering what other people's reason for this is.

I can surmise a couple of reasons.
- posters enjoy the anonymity of posting online
- it never comes up in conversation when meeting new divers
- avoiding conflict when you potentially meet someone with whom you have had a vigorous discussion with over some of the more volatile threads
- adopting a different persona online

Any thoughts on this?

My time spent in other LDSs is limited, but other than one guy (I actually met) who is on SB, anyone I've mentioned it to didn't do forums. Some said stuff like "I just can't get into that. Just a bunch of know-it-alls".

Some are threatened by it. Some hate the fact that they are no longer the default "know it all". Most people that I meet talk about it freely. Some with admiration and others with scorn. Like the internet, we aren't going away any time soon. : D The dive industry has been internet-a-phobic since its inception and it's about time they caught up with the rest of the world.

I've mentioned it other new divers as a great resource, but I have noticed a similar attitude with some more experienced divers. When ive mentioned an interesting thread in conversation Ive gotten that wrinkled nose look at SBs mention.

I meet ScubaBoard folks all the time and everywhere. Many times I've been somewhere completely unrelated to scuba, like walking the streets of Portland, ME, and a complete stranger will come up to me and ask if I'm the Wookie. Either that or they ask if I'm a pro wrestler. :(

Reactions: Jax
I not only mention it but push it as a resource for students and recommend it to every diver I meet. The only ones I've met that had negative reactions was one course director/agency rep for the agency I came up thru DM with. He did not like it. Said people here were brutal. I asked him if that meant they told the truth? He would not answer, just turned away and began talking to the shop owner. Completely ignored me after that. Turns out that was a good thing!

First ..never talk about the company second...the company is always watching

Those who feel that knowledge is power truly hate the Internet as they see how it's eroded their power base. Instead of being the ones in control, they find they are often at the mercy of a well informed clientele. Often they find that their customers know more about what they sell and what they should be selling than they do.

As the owner of ScubaBoard though, I encourage everyone to spread the word about us and your latest adventure. If you had a great time on a charter or a resort, or if a particular piece of gear has really met your needs, WRITE ABOUT IT HERE. Then send the link to the people you tattled on! You would be surprised at how far such unsolicited praise will go when you go back or need more gear. People take note of the posters on here and will treat them differently. Sometimes with kid gloves! :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom