dumb BP/W question...yes, i searched.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chile7236

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
got my apeks BP/W set up (deluxe one piece harness with BP, STA and WTX3) and forgot to pick up tank straps? do i have to buy the apeks straps (which the LDS say are better because they bolt in) or can i just buy some DR straps? thanks....and apologies for the dumb question.

Your choice. For single tank I have 2 rather generic tank straps myself.

kinda what i figured...i see the usefulness of the apeks straps bolting in but if i heard right, he said $150 for them so i would be perfectly happy with some DR straps for much less.

Not really up on the Apex stuff but how different could it be. The bolts on the STA keep everything nice and tight with little slop. Just using the straps does not. Some people don't care but I don't enjoy that tank moving around back there. For me the extra $ would be worth it.

I have an Apeks SS plate with DR harness, wing and straps. No STA needed for single tank, works great.

thanks all...looks like i will be saving some $$$ for an XTX50/DS4 (don't need but WANT IT) by getting the DR straps...just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something.

Not missing a thing. I can sell you straps with steel cam buckles for 45 a pair plus shipping. No need to spend $150. Heck for that they should fasten and tighten themselves on their own!

Not missing a thing. I can sell you straps with steel cam buckles for 45 a pair plus shipping. No need to spend $150. Heck for that they should fasten and tighten themselves on their own!

i may be looking to pick up a 1st stage as well so i will be in touch. thanks.

Of course they are better...They are better for the LDS because he can make a sale for $150 for straps that cost about $50. How do they bolt in? Do they have a grommet hole in the strap?

I've never heard of bolt-on straps. In my mind, directly bolting straps to the backplate would create a serious weakness/failure point - grommets or not.

I imagine the OP is talking about a single-tank adaptor? (especially given the price). Like this:

10-STA_c400.jpg
IST-SINGLE-TANK-ADAPTOR_11301647244.jpg

You can always add one of these later, if you felt the need. They can add more weight to your rig - good for reducing weight from your weight belt, but bad for travelling. They can add more stability, depending on the design of your backplate. Some backplates/wings don't need them - some do benefit from them. Try your rig without one.. if you find the tank wobbles, then pick one up then... it's easy to fit.

The APEKs STA is available for $40.56... http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/apeks-single-tank-adaptor/8859/p

($150 for the STA and two straps is still expensive).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom