Undersea Explorer Port Douglas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Squirt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'd love to hear comments from divers who've been on one of these research trips. Planning a trip in March-April 2004 - your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Did their 6 days GBR / Osprey reef in May this year. The boat is not luxurious but comfortable even though a little bit crowded (had 19 guests on board). The crew is excellent and professional with good briefings. You dive in buddy pairs but can follow a dive master if you feel like it. Food is very good and varied.

The diving I would say was outstanding. Saw lots of sharks (white tip, silver tip, grey reed, hammerheads), mantas, turtles, some macro life and even snorkelled with a dwark minke whale.

Every day there was a talk by the onboar marine bilogist about various interesting subjects, e.g. corals, whales, nautilus.

Overall, an excellent trip ! Enjoy...

Thanks Frogfish

You mentioned that the boat was not luxurious - that's fine - I've been on some pretty basic liveaboards and I don't mind that. Can you clarify - did the cabins have windows? Looking at the website, those on the lower most deck don't have windows - is that correct? I get a little claustrophobic....

How much involvement did the divers have with the research? It's a little difficult to gauge from the website. Or are you fun diving most of the time?

And one last question (sorry!) - what is Port Douglas like? We are thinking of spending a couple of days in the area and doing a little trip around on the mainland after all the diving. Did you spend any time there?

Thanks again!

Squirt.

The lower deck cabins do not have windows, the main deck ones have one I believe. There are four shared heads on the boat.

With regards to involvement with the research, this is essentially up to you. You can help as much as you want if you are interested. Note however this is not a research boat so in my opinion it is more conducted as an educational activity for the guests on board.

Port Douglas is a quiet holiday resort - it is worth spending a few days there to explore the area. Best way in my opinion is to rent a car and visit the various highlights of the area on you own - But if you prefer there are plenty of organized tours available.

Hope this helps
Regards

I also did the 6 day GBR/Osprey trip, but in Oct of this year. I would second Frogfish's comments. The crew were very friendly and overall excellent; 5 marine biologists among the crew, including one scientist from James Cook university so lots of briefings and lectures which you could attend.

Dived some of the more isolated ribbon reefs and then Osprey which is a must. Did some Nautilus trapping and tagging which was hands on for those who wanted to get involved. The Dwarf minke trips sound great as well as the trips to the far northern reefs (raine island).

The boat was very comfortable with ample showers. My cabin was below decks and had no window; however i found it quite spacious. Ample food which was of a high quality. It is not a luxury dive vessel but had no major shortcomings.

enjoy!

Hiya ...

I've been on the Undersea Explorer 6 times .. so I guess that means I like it :). Their minke whale trips up the ribbon reef are mind blowing ... swimming with these creatures changes your life.

The Shar Research expeditions to Osprey reef are very worth while and the Undersea Explorer spend sa fair amount of time on Ospery ... unlike most other liveaboards that go there.

1000m drop offs ... wohoo... some great shark action and yes i did see hammerheads there too.

The researchers and crew are always excellent on this boat and I havent had a bad trip yet. If you don't need 5star luxury but love your diving and would like to know more about what you see out there ... GO

And while I'm on the topic. Check out underwater.com.au - you can even WIN one of these trips ! ... And underwater.com.au members get 10% off trips on Undersea.

Have fun and ... see you underwater ...

Tim

Back
Top Bottom