Problem Getting Fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have two scuba tanks (steel 100s), born on 1994 and 2000, apparently in the US. However, they have been in Canada for at least 10 years each. They have had and passed all hydrostatic and visual inspections since then. The hydro and vis are currently up-to-date.

The apparent problem is that because they were born in the US, they have a DOT certification (and no TC). According to one dive shop I've visited, Canada requires a different certification, so they can't fill my tanks without a potential legal liability, because apparently they can't be legally transported in Canada.

However, I have had my tanks filled in numerous places in Canada, and I was under the impression that an up-to-date hydro and vis was all that was necessary for a fill. These tanks have been hydro-ed many times in Canada, and the hydro organization has not mentioned anything. I assume that if there were an issue, the hydro company would refuse to test the tanks without certification. But this dive shop still refuses to fill the tanks.

So to recap, the facts are: 1. current hydro/vis, 2. numerous hydro and vis done successfully in Canada, 3. DOT stamp on tanks.

The questions are: 1. Should a shop be able to fill these tanks without liability, as it's not being transported by them?, 2. Is it illegal to drive around with these tanks in Canada (i.e., in my trunk)?, 3. Am I going to have problems hydro-ing these tanks again?

Finally, anyone have any idea whether Canada and US certifications are exactly the same tests?

Sorry to hear about your fill troubles. I can help out with your question #2 . . .

While I don't know about land-based enforcement, in my experience BC Ferries staff doesn't look for any particular markings on tanks. However, they consider tanks "dangerous goods" unless empty, and you are supposed to fill out a Dangerous Goods Shipping Form (see their website). They're especially touchy about declaring tanks containing Nitrox, but if you have the paperwork done ahead of time they will sometimes bump you right to the front of the line!

We drive up that way to dive at least once a year, with our own tanks. Canadian border staff have never inspected the tanks for any specific markings.

Gee, nobody in Canada has refused to fill our American tanks, and I hope they don't begin to do so.

In NY they questioned the hydro marking on my Canadian tank and called the LDS up here to check. The marking differs from a U.S. hydro marking. But no problem after they called. Of course that's the reverse of your situation.

Yes they can refuse to fill them AFAIK. I was told that some shops are exempt - those which are located near the border. I saw once my shop refusing to vis the dot tanks. Now most tanks I saw come with tc stamp.

Although i have old lp72s that are filled and inspected and they do not have stamps

Some Dive shops make a big deal about filling tanks in an effort to get you to buy new tanks. Maybe they are right but does it matter? You have not had a problem in the past, why now? I would just go else where for a fill. To answer you questions, yes, no, maybe.

If your LDS is giving you any kind of problem filling tanks then take it to the people who actually do the hydros and can also VIP and fill them for you to the same standard or better then your LDS. These people will know what the differences are if any between the US and Canada. My guess is there is little or no difference and your LDS is trying to get you to buy new tanks from them. Not all the places on this list work with scuba tanks but the ones that do will be able to take care of you.

PHMSA - Cylinders - Authorized DOT Cylinder Retesters: Domestic

C'mon down to the good old USA where tanks are cheap, the diving is good and guns are for everybody, not just for the cops and robbers.

Called another shop in the area, and they had little idea what I was talking about. They said they only checked vis and hydro before doing fills (which I assume was the normal standard) and would be willing to fill my tanks.

Luckily for me, my main LDS back in Victoria doesn't have any problems with my tanks. Unluckily for me, I bought a 10-fill card from the shop that can't be refunded. I'm pretty sure they aren't trying to get me to buy new tanks, as I told them I was there for only a few weeks, and there has been no mention of new tanks. I'm going to try to speak to the owner tomorrow because he might know more about it than the shop employees.

I haven't heard of that problem Noob, but I'm sure a lot of us would like to know the outcome of the discussion with the owner, if you don't mind.

The only tank that I've ever had a problem getting filled was one that a fellow from Europe gave me. I even took it to cave country once. Just to be a smart a**(no I didn't expect it to get filled), I acted surprised when I checked the pressure, and discussed why they filled them that high. Got the standard answer, they do it in Europe all the time, no big difference. When I handed them my European tank and said great, no big difference, right? All of a sudden DOT rules are the gospel when filling tanks. They didn't find my theory about Europenan fills very humorous either. It was even requested that I not come back there for fills either. Fortunately they have forgetten me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom