Bp/w questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

faster7581

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just switched from a glide pro to a SP pure tec bp/w... feels great in the water.. my first question is what is the easiest way to put it on on a rocky boat?
I'm 6ft 190-195, atheletic build, the straps really dig into my armpit/chest area, mostly out of the water, but I can still feel it in the water, is this an adjustmen tor should I try the shoulder pads? if I loosen up the straps, the plate rides too low..
TIA
mike b

Sounds a little as though the plate is not the optimal size for your body type. However, the default BP size was designed for a diver of your height and build... so this is pure internet speculation.

It reads as though you have the harness too tight overall. ALSO, do you have BOTH sides of the harness fixed (weight keeper behind plate). You might try having the right side freed so that it can be loosened.

Generally speaking pads are a waste of effort since what one aims for (in quotes) is gear that works and accessories that contribute to function and comfort in the water... rather than on the surface.

Most likely you have the shoulder portion of the harness way too tight. When converting from a traditional BC, we all do that. They should be loose enough to shrug off.

Do you have an experienced BP/W user (instructor, even) who can mentor you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you diving a single tank or doubles? When you say the plate "rides too low", is it digging into your back or buttocks?

Most people do set their harness up too tight at the beginning. With a single tank, you can let the plate ride lower, because you can move the tank in the cambands. Doubles give you a bit less flexibility in this regard, but it should still be possible to have the valves reachable and the harness loose enough so it's comfortable in the water, and you can get out of it. I second the recommendation for finding someone who uses this type of gear to take a look -- failing that, post some photos.

Are you diving a single tank or doubles? When you say the plate "rides too low", is it digging into your back or buttocks?

Most people do set their harness up too tight at the beginning. With a single tank, you can let the plate ride lower, because you can move the tank in the cambands. Doubles give you a bit less flexibility in this regard, but it should still be possible to have the valves reachable and the harness loose enough so it's comfortable in the water, and you can get out of it. I second the recommendation for finding someone who uses this type of gear to take a look -- failing that, post some photos.

I bought it at my LDS, they helped me set it up. I thought it was too tight also, but they said the top of the plate should be about level with my top of my spine, and that pulls it tight. Im diving a single al80 or steel 105..

The tightness should come from the waist straps and crotch strap. The shoulder straps should simply prevent the whole thing from falling backwards.

Unlike a cloth BC, you don't need tight shoulder straps to keep the tank in place. The metal backplate does that for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doppler, post a pic of the weight keeper on the harness for proper setup.

Again, for using doubles, a good rule of thumb is that the top of the plate should be just about at your T1 vertebra. To find that, feel the biggest knob at the base of your neck -- that's C7; T1 is the smaller knob just below it. For most people, having the top of the plate just about there will allow the straps to be loose enough for comfort. For very tall people, that may not work. Dropping the top of the plate a little more is usually not an issue with single tanks, again because you can move them up and down in the cambands. (It can be an issue if you are using tanks like the short HP80s, but I would assume you are not.) Plate placement is much more of an issue with double tanks, because they are bolted to the plate, and MUST be placed where the valves can be reached.

I just switched from a glide pro to a SP pure tec bp/w... feels great in the water.. my first question is what is the easiest way to put it on on a rocky boat?

I'm 6ft 190-195, atheletic build, the straps really dig into my armpit/chest area, mostly out of the water, but I can still feel it in the water, is this an adjustmen tor should I try the shoulder pads? if I loosen up the straps, the plate rides too low..
TIA
mike b

I find a BC with adjustable straps on the shoulders to be much easier to get into and out of on a small boat (or anywhere). I added neoprene wetsuit pads to the harness on one BP/W I have and it improved comfort for me when on the boat. Yoiu can glue them up from scrap wetsuit pretty easily.

As for tightness, some people will tell you to tighten the crotch strap and loosen the shoulders a little for a good fit.. For my build, I find that a cross chest strap is more secure and comfortable than just the basic harness. The shoulder straps tend to move outward and then constrict my shoulder muscles without a chest strap. If you are doing strenuous work with your arms (like loading a speargun), having the shoulder straps move around too much is a pain.

If you are doing a lot of cycles of getting into and out of the BC/ BP/Wing on a rough day on a small boat, any extra hassle in the process begins to be tiring and tiresome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom