Want to read an interesting story?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Bar

Reaction score
I went to pick up my certification card from my LDS on Friday. The card has all my correct info on it, but the picture on it is not mine and we didn't recognize the person. We looked through the rest of the cards to see if my picture was on someone else's card...nothing. So my instructor calls PADI to see what's with the mix up.

Here's what we found out: First of all, my name is spelled a bit differently (although not too uncommon). My name is Marc (not Mark). There is another diver from England with my full name, having the same spelling, with the same birthday, who waited 32 years to get certified - on the same day as me.

How a U.S. and U.K. diver got in the same data base is beyond me. But it's pretty wild to have all those similarities. I'd like to email him if he is on this board to see if we have more in common.

That's my story.

And he got his c-card with your photo?

don

I never play the LOTTO, or suggest anyone else should. But in your case....

dandydon once bubbled...
And he got his c-card with your photo?

don

We don't know, but assume that also. If that is the case I don't know if he found out yet. I emailed PADI my photo for another card. Maybe they'll look into his file.

Rick Inman once bubbled...
I never play the LOTTO, or suggest anyone else should. But in your case....

Right?

My mom asked me for my cert # and the LDS # on the card. Maybe they'll get lucky. They had a say in my name and DOB, you know? Hehe.

2 Bar once bubbled...

We don't know, but assume that also. If that is the case I don't know if he found out yet. I emailed PADI my photo for another card. Maybe they'll look into his file.

When I emailed PADI requesting one of the new waterproof C-cards that be hung from a BC - which is guess is the same method one acquires a replacment card, I was asked to furnish a :snap: photo by email "to be confirmed," or words to that effect. I guess they decide that the emailed photo looks like my others already on file...?

How they gonna' confirm yours? Sounds like something your certifying instructor should have handled. Except - if one wants something done, that one should take the initative, I suppose. Perhaps you could email your Instructor a copy of the email to Padi, asking that he assist?

(I'm glad that this wasn't one of your first posts. :freaky: )

Good luck, don

dandydon once bubbled...

When I emailed PADI requesting one of the new waterproof C-cards that be hung from a BC - which is guess is the same method one acquires a replacment card, I was asked to furnish a :snap: photo by email "to be confirmed," or words to that effect. I guess they decide that the emailed photo looks like my others already on file...?

How they gonna' confirm yours? Sounds like something your certifying instructor should have handled. Except - if one wants something done, that one should take the initative, I suppose. Perhaps you could email your Instructor a copy of the email to Padi, asking that he assist?

(I'm glad that this wasn't one of your first posts. :freaky: )

Good luck, don

My instructor was going to handle it...by mail. But I was still at the shop when PADI called back. The shop doesn't have a scanner to send my pic, which both them and PADI have on file. So me, my instructor, and the PADI guy agreed I could borrow my pic from the shop and email it to them if I did it right away. It was a non issue to me.

2 Bar once bubbled...
But it's pretty wild to have all those similarities. I'd like to email him if he is on this board to see if we have more in common.

That's my story.

being you have already talked to PADI about this, why dont you have them send your email addy or real addy to the guy and see if he will reply back to you?

steve

2 Bar once bubbled...
There is another diver from England with my full name, having the same spelling, with the same birthday, who waited 32 years to get certified - on the same day as me.

Hey, Buddy up with him when you go diving and you guys certainly will have a blast.

I am imagining all sorts of mix ups, confused faces, vexed boat DMs, etc etc....

:D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom