Water was TWICE as warm at the air...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractor Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Diving doesn't stop here in the northern part of the country, when the winter comes, it just gets colder. Several weeks ago, I made plans with my regular dive buddy Dave (Cldwdiver) to make a last trip to Higgins Lake to dive the wrecks there. Along the way, we invited a new friend from the Scubaboard to join us. Then we got about 10 days of rain, followed by a cold snap. Well, Saturday morning when I hauled my butt out of bed, it was about 17 degrees F at Frankenmuth. Dave was at the house a half hour early (as usual) and I was ready to go. We drove to Higgins Lake, up I-75 and arrived at the dive site an hour before we were suppose to meet Scott. The weather was beautiful! Calm, partly cloudy, a deep blue sky visable between the clouds. Not a movement on the lake. 22 degrees F. at 9:30 am. So we geared up and waded out to the deep water. We were happy to find that the water temp was 44 degrees at 40 feet, twice as warm as the air temp. I was having some problems with weight and trim, so the dive was a short one, about 15 minutes. Got back to the truck and had a message from Scott, he was still having a problem finding the dive site, but drove up as I was getting ready to call him. We had a 75 minute surface interval, and were back in the water about 11:15 or so. Dave and I in drysuits with attached gloves, Scott in a semidry with heavy mittens. Another dive, about 25 minutes this time, but I was still having trouble with my rig, and bouyancy (too many undergarments I think). We finished diving a little after noon time, and were still not above the freezing mark. After all of the rain we had, the visability was as poor as I have ever seen in Higgins Lake at 15' in places, 6-7' in others. I was very cold by the end of the second dive, and it was a race to change into street clothes and hit the local tavern for excellent food and a few beverages before making the two hour drive back to Frankenmuth. Next dive for me is in the Keys with Ocean Quest in Islamorada...after the cold of that dive, the warm water down there will be very welcome. Next planned freshwater dive is Gilboa Quarry on Saturday, 3 January to celebrate the new year of diving. After Florida, that could be quite a shock....

Tom- Technically, the temperatures should be converted to Kelvin and you'll find that 44 degrees is not twice 22 degrees. Given the temps, I give you credit... I think it is cold when it dips below 50 degrees here.

Dr. Bill

frankenmuth_tom once bubbled...
Diving doesn't stop here in the northern part of the country, when the winter comes, it just gets colder.
Next dive for me is in the Keys with Ocean Quest in Islamorada...after the cold of that dive, the warm water down there will be very welcome. Next planned freshwater dive is Gilboa Quarry on Saturday, 3 January to celebrate the new year of diving. After Florida, that could be quite a shock....

Just got back from a weekend at Gilboa. It was in the low 40's yesterday and not much warmer today... But the wind was whipping yesterday and the sun was out today... So we were feeling better with todays dives... Didn't quite know what to expect... cept I was a little surprised when we showed up to see some folks running around with those hillbilly Mat Bomber hats.... Well - after the first dive and we whipped off our hoods it became crystal clear. It was freeking cold...

But the upside was all worth it... 40ft vis all around.., and water temps 42-51 around the shallow side down to 80ft past the tubes.

Back
Top Bottom