DSS Torus 26 with Halcyon SS backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

henrik242

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know if the Torus 26 slot bands and screw holes are compatible with a Halcyon SS backplate?

I tried emailing DSS, but all I got back was rude content and zero information. Really not a good way to run a business.

Well, I've got multiple DSS and Halcyon wings that I use interchangeably on different backplates without an issue, so I'd say the simple answer is yes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the information! Much appreciated :)

Do you use those with or without an STA?

To use a STA with a DSS wing you will have to remove the central tank support by unpicking the stitches.
If you are looking for a smaller wing for an existing Halcyon plate it can be done but if you need to buy both wing and plate it's often best to stick with a single manufacturer......the majority do mix and match but you can run into comparability problems.

Here is what I wrote up earlier (before the thread was moved):

Holes:
I believe the holes will be compatible, as they are on the standard 11" centers on most (all?) brands of plates and wings, as far as I know.

Camband slots:
I believe slot placement is not standardized, like the hole placement is, but is instead variable on various plates (and sometimes they do not exist at all). That said, the cam band "slot holes" in the DSS wings are open rectangles, so there is some room for "adjustment."

I have a DSS Torus 17 wing, and I could measure the camband "rectangle" locations for you if you like. Then you could compare them to a Halcyon plate's slot locations. Note that the Halcyon plate's camband slots may be different between their regular and small plates, and/or may not exist at all.

If you are using an STA, then the camband slots may not matter to you. OTOH, if you are using an STA you would need to modify the DSS wing (remove the "rubber" tank cradle), and you would lose the signature DSS feature of being able to quickly and easily peel the wing off the plate.

Blue Sparkle

PS: I have a DSS plate and have used it with both a DSS Torus 17 and an Oxycheq 18 wing. I use an STA with the Oxycheq wing, but not with the DSS wing. I also happen to have an Agir-Brokk plate and that does not have camband slots (but does have the 11" OC holes, even though it is a metric/European plate).

Hi, thanks for your answers. I usually dive with twins, but I looking a single tank wing for vacation use that I can use with my existing backplate, and I want to use it without an STA. It would be great if you could measure the camband rectangle locations for me, Blue Sparkle.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Torus 26 slot bands and screw holes are compatible with a Halcyon SS backplate?

I tried emailing DSS, but all I got back was rude content and zero information. Really not a good way to run a business.

You aren't the first. It's a pathetic way to run a business.

Just checked my hanging locker and I've got a AL Halcyon plate and 17lb DSS travel wing no STA........fits fine.
The locator plugs fit the holes and no problems with cam slots.
That's great news, Fishpie. Thanks for checking!

You aren't the first. It's a pathetic way to run a business.
What I think you are interpreting as rudeness is Tobin's penchant for not wanting to answer a question incompletely, or provide misleading information for the sake of making a sale.

We had a conversation once about this, because I've heard similar complaints from people I have referred to DSS ... and in almost all cases it comes from fairly experienced divers who have their own ideas about what they want and are looking for a less complete answer than Tobin is willing to provide.

What you are interpreting as rudeness is not ... it's a sincere desire on Tobin's part to avoid selling you something that you might later decide was not what you were looking for. Yes, sometimes it costs him a sale. According to our conversation he's aware of that. He feels that, in the long run, losing a sale is better than selling something to someone who will end up with a case of buyer's remorse. That's his choice ... it's his business, and he sincerely feels that the information he provides is a service to his customers. There will always be those who feel it's too much information ... or that it's not addressing the question they asked in a way that's helpful.

I can understand that. But I don't see it as rude. I've known Tobin for about eight years now ... spent time on a liveaboard with him more than once ... and have never known him to be rude to anybody. If anything, I think at times he can be a little too helpful ... which annoys the crap out of some people. But the fact is he makes damn good quality gear, and puts a lot of effort into making sure that when someone purchases it they get what they were looking for.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom