Solo diver in Marathon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heydn62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be in Marathon next week with friends, none of whom dive. Any suggestions on a good op to use that may be able to pair me up with someone? Looks like Capt. Hook's puts a guide in the water, so that may be an option. Hoping to hear from someone who is familiar with the area. Would only dive a day or two as I don't want to abandon my friends. How common is it for dives to be cancelled by conditions? Looks like a cold front is coming thru early in the week, bringing some wind with it.

I've been diving in Key Largo several times, but never anywhere else in the keys. Should I expect the same types of dives in Marathon. Any sites suggested besides the Thunderbolt?

Also, tips on favorite restaurants and other things to do nearby would be appreciated.

I've dived out of Marathon a fair bit, and I can recommend Abyss Dive Center, which is on the east end of town. Things I like about them:

1) Mature, long-standing staff/owner/captain. Owner has been a diver for decades and still dives.

2) Really comfortable 6-pack boat (a separate enclosed/dry seating area if you choose to sit there, private area to change if you so desire, fresh-water rinse/shower).

3) Friendly, you are "one of the family," type atmosphere.

4) Comprehensive safety briefing that they don't just laugh off.

5) They'll go out with just two divers.

While I have had dives cancelled there due to weather (and a front would be the time), sometimes it was a case of "the weather looks a bit rough, do you still want to go?" and giving the divers a choice.

The reef dives are similar to those in Key Largo, although most of the reefs are not quite as deep-relief as, say, Molasses. I still enjoy them all though. That said, Sombrero Reef is a really nice spur-and-groove reef, although it's a bit further out so you may need to request it because they don't tend to go there otherwise (it's one of my favorite Marathon reefs though). There is an east and a west Sombrero so if they go out there you will typically get to do two dives on it - they just move to a different mooring ball.

They charge an extra fee for the Thunderbolt (I can't remember how much but it was reasonable to my mind), but they also have a DM in the water who carries/stages an extra tank on the wreck near the line, so you do get something "more" than the usual reef dive. You don't necessarily have to follow the guide though, in my experience (probably depends on your skill level, if they know you as a diver, etc.). Normally on reef dives the DM/Captain stays on the boat and it's up to you to be back in 1 hour/500 psi (they bring an extra person along on Thunderbolt dives).

I have dived a couple of times with them when I was sans buddy. One time I buddied up with one of a group of three; the other time I hired the owner to go along as a guide/buddy. I have seen others on the boat do similarly.

I can't speak to other things to do as I tend to just dive, go back to the lodging, cook/eat, relax, sleep, dive... etc.

Visited several shops today. Ended up booking with Tilden's because they are doing a Thunderbolt dive Friday, and I was hoping to dive it. Also was impressed with the set-up at Dive Duck Key. Was going to go with them until I found the Thunderbolt dive.

Slight hijack here. About a year and half ago four families from Jupiter went to Duck Key with our HS grad kids. We had two pwcs and two boats. I had a mask issue. I was not diving with them, but dive duck key gave me a couple masks to use to see if they worked. One did and I purchased it.

I have dived with Tilden's. Not the Thunderbolt but we did spend 2 days diving with them & enjoyed it.:)

I did my check out dives with Captain Hooks about ten years ago. I have been back to the keys a few times since then.
The thunderbolt is a nice wreck but may be a little deep for intermediate level divers. Further down the keys is Looe Key Marine
Sanctuary with what I think are some of the nicest coral reefs in Florida.

I dove with Hall's a few years ago. Randy the shop owner was very friendly. Boat and crew were very professional and helpful. I would dive with them again.

http://www.hallsdiving.com/

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Tilden's and Dive Duck Key are, by far, my two favorite ops in the Keys. You cannot go wrong with either of them.

Enjoyed diving with Tilden's. Let's you dive your own profile. Tells you to be back on the boat in 55 minutes. (except on the Thunderbolt - 15 if on air/25 if nitrox). Really liked Sombrero Reef. You can find some big things hiding under the south side ledges. :cool2:. Water temps 66-72 on Thu/Fri last week.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom