Back Kick (mine!) (a lemons and lemonade tale)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sam1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’ve been trying to develop a back kick for about two and a half years—because it’s a useful skill in general and in underwater photography in particular. I’ve had instruction on it on a couple of occasions and have practiced a little and very occasionally I actually could move backward, but it never really clicked. I was chalking it up to one of those skills that will remain elusive—that is until I flooded my camera on a trip last week to Grand Cayman and instead of taking pictures I practiced my back kick. The flooding actually happened on my first dive of the week and on the second dive I tried a few back kicks and I had some success. I had remembered the thread on the back kick from a couple of months ago and, in particular, TSandM’s post (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/400741-reverse-kick.html#post6099676) about practicing in a pool without fins, but without access to a pool, I hadn’t actually tried it. Since I was staying in a hotel with a pool, that afternoon I tried backward kicking without fins and it was trivially easy to consistently go backward! Over the rest of the week I practiced on the dives (when I could) and in the pool. I lack consistency—sometimes the kicks are such that I feel like I could do a whole dive backwards and sometimes they don’t work—but now I know it is a skill I can develop. (I think of the cost of replacing my flooded camera as the cost of developing my back kick and consider it money well spent!)

Congratulations! And if it makes you feel any better, after at least five years of having a decent back kick, it deserts me at moments . . . usually the ones where I need it desperately to avoid hitting something!

Congratulations! And if it makes you feel any better, after at least five years of having a decent back kick, it deserts me at moments . . . usually the ones where I need it desperately to avoid hitting something!

I think you're referring to the natural underwater tractor beam phenomena? Every marine organism has it. :wink:
I though that was common knowledge......

Sure seems like that sometimes, doesn't it? And the more fragile the organism, and the more critical the onlooker, the bigger the tractor phenomenon . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom