Nikon Coolpix 4300 - advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Washy

Reaction score
I have recently returned from a dive trip where I used my Nikon CP4300 underwater for the first time.

Aside from the usual problems with non-SLR digital (such as lead time between pressing the shutter and the shot being taken) I found it ok. However I wondered if anyone had any tips on what is the best setting for UW shots or any recommendations for a strobe.

I'm using the Fantasea housing which cost about $200. I think I need to get a red filter too as on all but the close shots the colours were very muted.

I would appreciate any tips (esp if you have used this camera)

Thanks...

If you are shopping for a strobe, you shouldn't need any filters.

The strobe should help with your muted colors. Beyond a few feet, even the strobe won't solve them, but it will extend the distance more than the internal flash. Go ahead and post a few samples of your shots, and perhaps the board can provide a few pointers (Even the shots that you don't like can be a great learning experience). Not only for you, but for others as well.

I personally use Ikelite DS-125 strobes, but there are other options available.

Mike

A strobe is essential. You should be able to do macro already but for reef scenics you will need a wide angle lens. Make sure which threads the housing has before you buy.

I have teh same camera and housing and I'm planning to buy a Epoque ES-150 DS strobe sold trough Fantasea.
https://ssl5.chicagowebs.com/fantasea/prod_det.asp?id=45
One thing for tge camera when you use it without a strobe (like I did) set flash on "cloudy" this will add juice to the pictures. The rest is practice.

Safe Diving

Washy:
I have recently returned from a dive trip where I used my Nikon CP4300 underwater for the first time.

Aside from the usual problems with non-SLR digital (such as lead time between pressing the shutter and the shot being taken) I found it ok. However I wondered if anyone had any tips on what is the best setting for UW shots or any recommendations for a strobe.

I'm using the Fantasea housing which cost about $200. I think I need to get a red filter too as on all but the close shots the colours were very muted.

I would appreciate any tips (esp if you have used this camera)

Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom