SMS-100 Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score
The shop I tend to work through wants me in a Hollis SMS-100, since I am diving sidemount, but because they have never brought one into stock, I have never been able to check one out. I have to ask blind questions about the setup?

Does the SMS-100 sizing run the same as RTS and HTS harnesses? They do stock those, so I can size them to check fit, as long as they run the same size.

Is the SMS-100 actually designed to back mount double as well? (I cannot see myself actually doing backmount doubles anymore but the Transpac I am replacing can.)

Is it possible to replace the bladder on the SMS-100, like for instance to buy a single bladder and later changed it out for the twin bladder version?

How much of a PITA is it to feed the cam bands into place for backmounting a single tank?

Any and all feedback would help, but the sizing question I would prefer a manufacturer response to verify.

Thanks

Hi
How big are you?? I use the SMS 100 to Side /Back mount and for single back mount. Getting changed between configurations takes about 1min (provided you don't use the tank straps form the side mount tanks, then it might take 4 min)

Yeah the tanks bands stay on my tanks full time, and I keep spares for the converting the BCD I am using back and forth.

When you switch from sidemount to backmount to you make any changes to the BCD other than adding in the straps?

The shop I tend to work through wants me in a Hollis SMS-100, since I am diving sidemount, but because they have never brought one into stock, I have never been able to check one out. I have to ask blind questions about the setup?

Does the SMS-100 sizing run the same as RTS and HTS harnesses? They do stock those, so I can size them to check fit, as long as they run the same size.

Is the SMS-100 actually designed to back mount double as well? (I cannot see myself actually doing backmount doubles anymore but the Transpac I am replacing can.)

Is it possible to replace the bladder on the SMS-100, like for instance to buy a single bladder and later changed it out for the twin bladder version?

How much of a PITA is it to feed the cam bands into place for backmounting a single tank?

Any and all feedback would help, but the sizing question I would prefer a manufacturer response to verify.

Thanks

Great questions! Sizing on the SMS100 runs a bit differently than our other harnesses. Initially we only had a single size (LG/XL), however we added two additional sizes (SM/MD and XXL). For most the LG/XL fits well with plenty of adjustment; depending on your measurements. SM/MD and XXL were introduced for the far ends of the spectrum; from females on up to much larger frames.

Yes, it is possible to replace the bladder on the SMS100 from single to dual or vice versa. This of course for flexibility later. Both bladders are designed for backmounted doubles as well. Grommets have been added down the center at 11" and allow the bungee to be removed for better wing profile when in backmount. For singles, the supplied cam bands secure a tank to the rear of the kit. This is achieved by simply threading the bands through slots in the wing and harness; just like a traditional bcd.

Please let us know if you have any further questions. :wink:

The SMS100 can do backmount doubles? I thought that was the one thing it couldn't do? :wink:

I'm just waiting for the SMS50 release, that one has certainly caught my eye since I already have a means to backmount single and double(mostly).

I've been trialing an SMS100 for the past week on some technical wreck dives. Well made piece of kit, but (for me) lacks the modularity /flexibility that I prefer - especially with regard to harness options.

Converting for singles is easy, but leaves you with an otherwise bulky and heavy rig for a single tank. No option for manifold doubles, as the backplate is soft. Could probably jury-rig a conversion for Indies doubles on the back, but why, when you have sidemount?

Overall, a good basic sidemount rig, especially if transitioning from jacket BCD or if you prefer 'comfort/deluxe' style wing harnesses. Frustrating for the tech minimalist (which is my bias).

Overall, a good basic sidemount rig, especially if transitioning from jacket BCD or if you prefer 'comfort/deluxe' style wing harnesses. Frustrating for the tech minimalist (which is my bias).

In terms of sidemount, is there a system that makes the cut for you as tech minimalist? It seems like the chest strap is needed for most sidemount setups.... (Have you considered going completely sidemount for tech, or is your customer base already committed to BM doubles?)

I am a comfort first person so comfort is key, but as always trying to see what works for others.

How have you seen the sizing work out? It seems like it has an enormous range of adjustment. I wonder whether that range could be used in rental effectively or whether it would take too much fiddling to change size so much.

I use the SMS100 for my warm water travel. On a resent trip to the South Pacific i was able to custom each dive. (Single, side mount or double Al 80's) Depending on if it was a wreck dive or deep dive. It only took a min to change between styles
This is a great system with a lot of versatility.

SO in practice, the BackMount doubles are no problem? Is the back area just stiff enough to manage without the stabilizing plates that (for instance) the Transpac uses?

Yes, I find that removing the rails when back mounting works good, depending on the size of the tanks. I know some guys who have removed them all together, and replaced it with normal D-Rings. Removing the rails, is as easy as unscrewing 4 screws, (1 min) Just keep everything together so you don't spend an hour looking for them again.
Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom