My rubber won't stay on...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kombiguy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a Nikon D90 and the associated Ikelite housing. There is a lever that is designed to depress the shutter release on the camera. On the end of that lever is a mushroom shaped rubber tip. That tip keeps falling off. I have tried nail polish and cyanoacrylate glue, but neither works to hold that tip on. Suggestions?
And a small additional question. Does chlorine harm Ikelite housings? By that I mean is it OK to use it in my pool to practice with?

Many housings are made from polycarbonate. Strength up to 2% aqueous chlorine is rated as compatible with polycarbonate. Most swimming pool chlorine levels should normally be between 1 and 3 ppm. The EPA actually allows up to 4 ppm chlorine in tap water. In general, occasional pool use should not have a detrimental affect on the polycarbonate. Parts of the housing do include o-rings and other rubber parts/seals and silicone lubricants that are more quickly affected by chlorine.

kombiguy,

We always use cyanoacrylate ester (super glue) to affix control tips to control shafts. You might try a drop of rubber cement or epoxy, however do NOT get any on the housing. This could cause a chemical reaction damaging the plastic.

Another option would be to place one of the spare vinyl control tips on the end of the shaft. Then, force the rubber tip over the vinyl shaft. The larger diameter of the vinyl tip should provide better gripping power for the rubber tip.

If you would like for us to address this issue, please send the housing along with a brief letter of explanation or this thread, and full contact information to:

Ikelite Underwater Systems
Attn. Service Dept.
50 W. 33rd St.
Indpls., IN 46208

Please include your name, complete return address, email, phone number, and your stated problem or service request. Normal service completion time is 2-3 weeks.

No problem using the housing in a chlorinated pool. I would recommend that you rinse the housing thoroughly in freshwater after each dive to reduce residue buildup.

Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite
www.ikelite.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom