New Year's Day....Less Than Perfect Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatevva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Air temp around 42...Water temp 46. This will only be my 3rd cool water dive, but I need to try out some new equipment before Cozumel.

Gearing up goes ok...a bit clunky because I'm just not used to all that gear, but we're good, so buddy and I enter the water(shore dive).

Can't get my mask to seal...try a few times but aligning the hood and mask with 5mm gloves is just getting me frustrated. Several trys and I'm ready to give up.

I tell my buddy to hook up with others but he says that if I abort, he's out too, so after a couple more tries I get a seal and we're good to go.

Visibility is terrible 5-10 feet tops but I'm warm and doing ok. After about 15 minutes buddy signals a problem with his dry suit and we assend.

I lose a brand new ScubaPro Twin-Jet fin...we're only in about 20 feet of water so I drop back to find it and he helps with the search, but nothing.

A couple others searched later, but to no avail......$170 out the window :(

At least I can say I got a New Year's Dive in I guess..............

Last edited:
Some days it just isn't worth getting out of bed, is it?

Just think how easy the Cozumel diving will be after that......

We had similar conditions on NYD, water temp 38, vis almost 10 which is completely amazing in this lake and we got 2 dives in, found some hand tools but only 1 antique/vintage bottle

Take it as an opportunity to buy Jet fins with spring straps.

Good diving in Coz.

These were twin jets and I really liked them, so I'll get another set (wish they'd sell singles)....the spring staps sound like a "must have" though, so i'll look into that

I heard a pilot say that any landing he walks away from is a good landing, so I guess that any dive that one can write about afterward is a good dive. However, losing the gear is a drag. Perhaps you can advise local dive clubs and shops who dive the venue to be on the lookout, and offer a reward- a case of beer seems fair. Dives are like pizza's, or love making: some is better than others but all are pretty good. I guess your last dive is one of those dives that was not as good as most other dives. Have fun in Cozumel. I guarantee you the water will be warmer, the viz will be better, you won't have to mess with a hood or gloves, and you won't need your dry suit!
DivemasterDennis

Happy New Year!

Sorry to hear your dive went downhill on you, mine had it's problems but I managed to come back with my gear. It serves me right because I've been freediving and neglected the SCUBA gear for months.

Gearing up goes ok...a bit clunky because I'm just not used to all that gear, but we're good, so buddy and I enter the water(shore dive).

Can't get my mask to seal...try a few times but aligning the hood and mask with 5mm gloves is just getting me frustrated. Several trys and I'm ready to give up.

Cold water gear is clunky to say the least. My trick is suiting up and dealing with all my gear with my gloves on. The frustration is constant and fades into the background over time, it's just the way things are. Also, you learn tricks to make things easier with the gloves on which will make it less frustrating when you have to make in water adjustments.

May be You will find the fin next dive. With my luck, I'd find someone elses fin and have two half sets.

Bob
-------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I went back to the dive shop today, to buy another set of fins, and sitting on the counter, for me, was a replacement fin...slightly used, but the same size and model....now I know why I keep going back there!!!

I spent the morning with a 7/3 hood/vest on, in a mirror, working on a technique to get the mask under the hood properly, and get a seal...then I did it with 5 mil gloves on about 5 times, and then 10 times without the mirror....shouldn't be an issue again :)

12 days to Cozumel!!! Can't WAIT!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom