Regulators that work but have gone out of circulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teresa McKinna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I rent gear and have about 10 regulators that work but, can no longer get repair kits. I have been asked by my technician to look up the liability on using gear, even though they work, as rentals and the liability it holds. Does not being able to get parts make the regulators obsolete and a liability?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Teresa McKinna

In my personal opinion, without any law background, I think that if someone had a malfunction in their regulator regardless of the outcome, they could bring up a case that
1) your regulators were not in working order
2) you didn't repair them
3) you were negligible for three things
---a) your regulators were not annually serviced
---b) you had no way of repairing your regulators
---c) you knew you had no way of repairing your regs and yet you still chose to rent them out

Anyone can sue you whether they have a justifiable case or not, whether you're guilty or not. But the cards are not in your favor if the regs decide to crap out. I suppose if you've just serviced them you could use them for a year, but then there's still B and C to worry about.

What kind of regulators are you talking about?

No law background, but I can imagine you would not be in a good position if a regulator malfunction led to an injury, and you could not show that the regulators had been routinely maintained.

this question makes me glad I bought all my gear day 1... I would think rental gear should be serviced more often than annually, as it gets beat up, and used often.. now that the regs cant be serviced, due to lack of parts, when do you decide to replace them? when they fail on a customer?

From a customer perspective, If I walked into a shop and saw rental Dacor Pacers or something like that, for which diaphragms haven't been available since I was in the regulator renting business, I'd walk away and never look back. If the rentals aren't (and can't be) serviced, where else is the dive shop cutting corners. Successful dive shops buy the bottom of the line regulators from their dealer, keep them a year, and sell them for what new ones cost them. Everyone wins, the dive shop who always has new gear to rent, the manufacturer who sells a bunch of gear, and the regulator buyer who gets a regulator at dealer cost.

I think you would be ok if and only if you were following manufacturer guidelines for service. If you found a place to get the service kits and used them at scheduled intervals great, wether the regs are made or not IMHO is not the issue.

That said if you have a current reg, but do not do the service at the recommended interval, IMHO you would still be liable.

Not a lawyer, just using common sense.

Highflier

The regulators are Genesis and I am not looking to cut any corners on the diving equipment I rent. Jules' Lodge is not a dive shop but, we do rent gear out to our customers for the lagoon and guests who stay with us. It is true you can be sued for anything. First and fore most my major concern is the safety of the people who use my equipment. Since I run a business I have to look out for it as well.

Thank you all for the help

Teresa McKinna

I would make sure they are serviced regularly and in good working order. Only rent to someone with a C-card and have them sign a waiver.

That said, anyone can sue for any reason, but it doesn't mean they will win. :)

Back
Top Bottom