wrist mounted dive computer or attached?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natkins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I tried to look though these pages for a similar thread feel free to link or re-post.

I just got my open-water certification and I for sure want an air-integrated computer. I would really like YOUR opinion as to what is better/easier to dive with.Or what YOU feel the pro's and cons of each are. A wrist-mounted dive watch (I was looking at the Suunto D4i or D6) or an attached system (like the Atomic Cobalt. (yes I know these are very different, I just dont know where to concentrate my looking)

thanks for your help!

Natkins:blinking:

I prefer an independent system because if the computer craps out, I can still dive using the analog console of my reg assembly. Same can be said if the transmitter craps out. However, if you go for an attached system, you do not have that luxury.

Another vote for wrist mounted computers. Add a sturdy SPG (maybe brass and glass style) and you have a system that can grow with your diving.

I'm not totally clear on what you're asking: Whether it is AI vs. non-AI? Or wrist-mounted computer vs. console mounted?

I don't have (nor do I currently want) AI, but I do wear a wrist-mounted computer and I can tell you that I love that location. I would definitely not want to change to a console. I like how the information (especially time and depth) is available to me at a glance in my usual diving position.

Obviously I can't speak to AI.

Blue Sparkle

Wrist vs. console computer comes down to personal preference.

If you decide on a wrist computer, then you need to choose between non-air-integrated and wireless/hoseless air-integrated.
A non-air-integrated wrist computer is simple and rather inexpensive ($200-$300). The diver doesn't need to pair it with the wireless transmitter prior to the dive. The strobe flash from UW photographers won't disrupt the wireless signal.
The hoseless air-integrated wrist computer will be far more expensive. In fact, one could probably purchase 2 non-air-integrated wrist computers for the price of one hoseless air-integrated computer system. On the other hand, it is very convenient to be able to check remaining gas supply by glancing at one's wrist. If the wireless signal between wrist computer and transmitter is lost, then the computer will perform just fine as a non-air-integrated computer.

I've done hundreds of dives with a simple, non-air-integrated wrist computer. On more than one occasion, I've witnessed a diver cussing at his dive gear on a rocking dive boat because his wireless computer wouldn't pair up with the transmitter during pre-dive checks. I hear that the wireless technology is better now. :idk:

I would recommend that you get a non-air-integrated wrist computer and save the money (that you would have spent on a wireless/hoseless air-integrated computer) for necessary dive gear, a fun dive vacation, air fills, additional training, drysuit, UW camera setup, etc. There's always going to be some sort of scuba-related expense that will pop up.

thanks for all the input. Sorry if this question is painful to some of you, but what does SPG, AI and non-AI stand for? (i am totally a newb!):dork2:(I am sure you will write it and I will say OF Course!)

SPG = Submersible pressure gauge (to read tank pressure)
AI = air integrated (wrist-mounted: you have to put a transmitter to your first stage; console style: connected to your first stage via a hose)

:wink:

Ditto about a redundant small SPG and if you do go for a 'D' series hoseless get a wrist strap from Tibby-Accessories.com and replace the Sunnto strap...It'll rip [see previous threads ] sooner or later and you may loose it......

Back
Top Bottom