right valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Myka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I'am used to post on the Norcal forum part. My name is Mickael, I was diving a rebreather the two last years, but I'am going back to OC now.
I'am diving with a basic sidemount configuration using two S80 (that were my bailout before) in the cold water of the North California.
For a better configuration I am looking for a "right valve" , but I can't find one cheap.

Any idea where to look for, online ?

In my configuration the top of the tank is attached by the valve using bungee, so i need a little bit of space on the opposite side of the plastic wheel. I hope I am enough clear...

If by chance, you are selling a used one, let me know.
thanks
Mickael

I am curious about how the wider modular DiveRite valve would work if space opposite the handle is at a premium. I use only regular valves since I am going to be teaching tourists how to use regular tanks for sidemount.

It seems like in the Razor/Armadillo system they are counting on having extended part opposite the handle, or so it seems with a loop to catch it, whereas the Nomad/SMS-100 system does it different.

Mickael

I realize you are looking for a used one, but I thought I would answer as others are talking about new ones. The UTD Z-Side-Mount system uses a left and right modular tank valve (UTD Online Store - +1 206 321-0870 - sales@utdequipment.com). What we like about them is exactly what you say, there is plenty of "purchase" for the bungee on the opposite side of the hand wheel. We also like the fact that if you ever wanted to in the future use them for back-mount doubles you can simply add the crossbar isolator easily. The colored handwheels re nice for easy reference as too which valve is on and off. A lot of side-mount divers like to have the tank they are not using off, preventing an accidental free flow, and only turn on the cylinder when they need it or are using it.

Costa
UTD Equipment

Dive Rite valves have worked fine for me for about 200 or so sidemount dives. I also have the OMS valves for my HP 7/8 tanks which work fine. HOG just came out with new valves without the stem sticking out.
HOG Gear Convertible Left/Right Hand Valves - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
Not bad for $50.
I disagree with turning the tank off when you're not using it, because if it's going to freeflow fromt he second stage, I'd rather leave it on so the first stage doesn't start turning, and haven't had any accidental freeflows...
A lot of this depends on your bungee configuration though. If you're looping the bungees around the tank neck or using dive rite ring bungees, having the extra point on the opposite side doesn't matter at all, but if you're hooking around that then the longer stems is nice, and the width doesn't matter

thanks a lot for all your answers. I will go for the HOG or the modular DiveRight.
For now, I am using regular valve, and on the right side, I put the bungee around the wheel.
thanks
Mickael

The valves with the stem sticking out are just manifold valves with the center (isolator) piece removed and the ends plugged. I broke up one set of my 119 doubles like that for sidemount, so if you have a manifold sitting around somewhere you can just do it that way. They work fine on a Nomad setup.

Manifold plugs'll run you about $10 each ... Valves - Valve Plugs - Northeast Scuba Supply

You can get the Blue Steel valves a bit cheaper at Northeast Scuba Supply ... they call them "rebreather valves" ... but they're the same valves shown in the first link above, just less expensive ... Valves - Single Valves - Rebreather Left Hand Valve - Northeast Scuba Supply

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

thanks a lot for all your answers. I will go for the HOG or the modular DiveRight.

For now, I am using regular valve, and on the right side, I put the bungee around the wheel.
thanks
Mickael

I have had problems with that (with the bungie rolling the valve closed), and in general with getting by with regular valves, which is why I switched to the Nomad/SMS-100 approach. It's harder to get the tanks as tucked in with the leash style instead of the bungie loop style, but I am doing this to teach tourists who have not count on getting valves with the opposite valve.

Which system are you diving with?

Last edited:
i am using an home-made harness made by a friend that live in Mexico. He called the harness, the ULTIMATE.
To attach the cylinder, I use a bungee that I roll around the valve. That's why I like the valve with a long stem, so the bungee doesn't go by itself.

Thanks for your answers and your help
Mickael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom