What's the difference - Oceanic Atom 3.0 vs 3.1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've looked at the feature listings, and can't see the difference between the Atom 3.0 and the new 3.1. What am I missing?

Last edited:
the buddy check feature

Thanks for making the suggestion - however...

The Oceanic website says, "Please Note: ATOM 3.1 units shipped after November 1, 2011 no longer feature Buddy Pressure Check". I read somewhere that this was a matter of another company's use of the name "Buddy Pressure Check", and that the feature is in fact still there, since the Atom will register pressures from three different tanks' transmitters ("Switch between 3 independent transmitters, with up to 3 nitrox mixes to 100% O2") (intended for people who use more than one mix during a given dive, but if the transmitters are on other divers' tanks, would still provide info on those tanks, right?). Also, while this suggests that Atom 3.1 units shipped before Nov. 1 had the Buddy Pressure Check, and this feature does not appear by name in the Atom 3.0 manual, it would effectively mean that the 3.1 is the same after Nov. 1st as the 3.0.

The Atom 3.0 manual also states that the unit cannot effectively read a transmitter signal from more than four feet away, or in certain orientations from the transmitter - three feet is preferred. How many people dive with their first stage within three feet of their buddy's computer-bearing wrist? This may be another reason why Oceanic dropped the feature listing, while retaining the actual functionality of multiple transmitter reading, but would appear not to be a model-version difference between the two units in question.

Last edited:
Not correct. The feature was removed due to a patent infringement claim. The product is compatible with up to 3 transmitters and one may perform a gas switch between them. The ability to remotely check the air pressure of a transmitter has been removed. For clarification - any product in the field with the feature will be supported (in the event it's returned for service or a firmware update is required, the product will retain the feature). If the product does NOThave the feature, repaired/replaced/firmware upgraded units will not have the feature.

Not correct. The feature was removed due to a patent infringement claim. The product is compatible with up to 3 transmitters and one may perform a gas switch between them. The ability to remotely check the air pressure of a transmitter has been removed. For clarification - any product in the field with the feature will be supported (in the event it's returned for service or a firmware update is required, the product will retain the feature). If the product does NOThave the feature, repaired/replaced/firmware upgraded units will not have the feature.

Thanks for the clarification. Can you at this point resolve the original question of the difference between the Atom 3.0 and 3.1?

kwsjimmy had it right - it is the removal of Buddy Pressure Check.

Forgive my confusion. It had its basis in the following:

1. I have the downloaded .pdf of the Atom 3.0 owner's manual, and it does not mention the Buddy Pressure Check, so I had assumed that this was a feature in the subsequent model. There does not appear to be a 3.1 manual available for download, so I could make no comparison, and the CD included with the 3.0 I purchased from a local dealer was fractured and unreadable (replacement in process...).

2. The statement on Oceanic's webpage for the 3.1 states, "Please Note: ATOM 3.1 units shipped after November 1, 2011 no longer feature Buddy Pressure Check." This suggests that a 3.1 shipped before that date had the feature. If the 3.1 unit was not available at all before that date, the note need not have been there, or could have read, "Please note: ATOM 3.1 units will be available after November 1 2011, and will no longer feature Buddy Pressure Check".

Understood. The .1 is a reference that the sales and marketing side of the house came up with to differentiate the product - from a product standpoint, this change, as any other firmware revision, doesn't change the product core product name, hence no change to the name on the manual. We'll clarify the web statement by the end of the day - thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom