What wetsuit in the Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. That or nothing.

It depends. 3mm is usually sufficient but I have been in the Bahamas in Jan when a week long cold front moved in and the air and water temps were 64 degrees with higher winds. A full 3mm was not nearly enough. Some dives were cancelled due to the winds (land based btw).

How cold natured are you? When we checked out in the Bahamas with water temps in the low 70's, I wore a 3 mil shortie and my son wore two 3 mil rental full suits.

ScuBaddicted,

First thing first, here is a link of the temp (water and air) Blackbeards experiences throughout the year and what they recommend in terms of thermal protection

Bahamas Seasonal Water & Air Temperatures on Blackbeard's Cruises

More specifically:
January-February
72-77f/22-24c
(water) 70-80f/21-27c
(Air) Full Wetsuit 5mm or thicker (Thermal Protection)

Secondly, I dove with them (Morning Star) 26 Feb - 03 Mar 2011. I did 20 dives (out of a possible 21) over 5.5 days of diving ranging from 21 to 102 ft. Consulting my dive planner, water temp was 73F throughout and air temperature was 75 - 81F. Average number of dives was 4/day. I went there as part of a group (five of them were repeat offenders) and nobody had anything thinner than a 5mm (full length), the norm being full length 7mm. Some folks even dove with a beanie/hood.

Particularity of Blackbeard is you spend most of your non-diving time topside, in relatively windy conditions and variable cloudiness(at that time of the year) and after a while, the combination of number of dives and living conditions, do take a toll on your body. More so, the only time you will experience a dry wetsuit is when you first put it on for the first dive of your adventure. After that you will always be greeted by some form of wetness ....ah the joy of repetitive diving.

I personally use a 7mm and I can assure you that in those conditions, I am glad I did. For your info, I am far from being a frigid/cold person as I will do, locally two repetitive dives in 75F water in the summer time wearing only a 3mm. Just came back from Cozumel where I did 21 dives over 5.5 days of diving with four successive days of four dives each. The water (81F), air (81 - 86F) and a resort like environment made it possible to just use a 3mm full length but my GF was glad to have brought her 5mm (and she only dove eight times).

Hope this helps. Do not hesitate to PM me for additional info. In the photo section you will also find a folder of underwater pics I took during my trip. Have a great one.

P.S. I would also highly recommend bringing Gravol. In addition to what I previously described, between 1/4 and 1/3 of the group (very experienced divers BTW) spent their first full day at sea, on all four, among wetsuits hung to dry, being seasick. Some folks had to include Gravol as part of their daily diet. That aspect will also affect your body in some ways or form.

Last edited:
Think of upper 70's water. I would say a 5mm at most. I am planning to go in march with a dive skin and a 3mm shortie as backup. I don't get cold easy at all though. I regularly dive in 42 degree water, so the Bahamas is like bath water to me. For those who are local to warm waters, I would lean towards the 5mm.

I would be taking my drysuit. Min. 5mm suit, hood and 3 mm gloves ( if allowed ).

It's winter!

Last edited by a moderator:
4/3mm full is a good all around suit for 75F-85F IMO. If I'm diving warm water I want to be warm, not slightly chilled by the end of a deep 30min dive.
If you get into the 67-70F range you can always add a 5mm-7mm jacket or hooded vest and you should be OK for shallow short dives or skin dives where you're moving a lot.

Adding or taking off a hood can will help to widen your temp range for the suit as well.

I've dove 4/3mm with lycra hood, 5mm booties, and 1mm gloves in 85F waters and I was always a normal temp once I entered the waters.
In 67F waters I wore the same 4/3 (although slightly newer) with 5mm hood, 3mm gloves, 5mm booties and a 7mm farmer john jacket, I was a normal temp throughout the dives.
I also freedove/spearfished with this setup in 67F waters, minus the jacket. At times I got a bit chilly when waiting at the surface.

I'd say go with the 5mm suit, with a hooded vest if you get chilled easily. For me, 3mm suits are for water warmer than 80F.

I wear a 5mm. I'm always warm no matter how long I'm down or how many dives I do during the day. It's pretty hard to overheat - put on or take off a hood as needed, flood the suit if needed. My rule of thumb is that I can always cool off, but it's pretty hard to warm up once chilled. FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom