Thailand or Vietnam or Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi .. I am planning a diving holiday with the boys between 24th Feb & 3rd March. We have narrowed it down to 3 countries - Thailand or Vietnam or Philippines. While diving is surely the priority here, we will also look to unwind and party a little bit. We have discussed Boracay (Phil), Nha Trang (Viet), Con Dao (Viet), Koh Similan (Thai) etc.

Any and all suggestions and advice is welcome. We're looking for warm waters, great visibility with ample variety.

Thanks in advance :D:D

cheers

The first thing you need to do is decide which matters more - the diving or the partying? You won't really find the best of one where there's the best of the other...

There's some great diving in the Philippines, but Boracay doesn't leap to mind as the best of it by a long shot. Check out somewhere like Malapascua or Cabilao for great reef diving, or Coron for wrecks. Not really party destinations, though, which Boracay is.

I spent a good while in VN, the diving in Con Dao is supposed to be the best in the country, but that doesn't necessarily mean much - the Vietnamese are enthusiastic fishermen. Con Dao is remote and quiet, though. Nha Trang, again, is a good party town, but you won't get great diving. And the weather may not be great in February.

In Thailand it's the same deal. The Similans are offshore, so it's live aboard boats. If you want bars and clubs, you'd be better off going somewhere like Phuket, but I don't know the area as well.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I have to agree with GrimSleeper on the weather. You might spend more time in your room partying. PI is nice in the summer time. Living in Japan everybody is talking about going to Yonaguni or Australia. Not trying to redirect you to some place different, VN and PI are nice. It is the weather I don't care for.

Philippines: Boracay, Puerto Galera and Subic Bay but none of these places offer very good diving in the country.
If I have to make a choice then it would be PG. Make sure you go to Verde Island.
If you want good diving then you should try Anilao, Bohol, Coron(wreck), Dumaguette, General Santos, Malapascua, Sogod Bay and Tubattaha(liveaboard).

Thailand:
Phuket: Dive sites are miles away and it is a full day affair. You have to ask yourself if you can get up at 7am and make the journey after partying.

the Vietnamese are enthusiastic fishermen.

Yeah, they very enthusiastic with their dynamite! I would pick Phillipines, somewhere further out off the list that has been given in replies above.
Vietnam would be my least favorite, and in Thailand I would not pick Phuket or Koh Tao.

That's simple...the Philippines! Alona Beach,Panglao,Bohol has both great diving and topside entertainment. Sercurity is the best,diving is cheap,and the Filipina people are fantastic.

"Living life without a hard bottom"
KT

My friend in Vietnam tells me that there is too much runoff from the rivers in Vietnam for good diving. He says the visibility is poor. I'm flying out there in a month - we're going to Thailand.

So from all your replies, Vietnam is now out. Its now between Philippines and Thailand. Is Cambodia any good ?

Krazytomdiver - would you know if Feb-March will be a good time in Philippines (Alona Beach etc.) for viz, warm water etc. ? And do they have decent bars and good night life ?

GrimSleeper - would
Malapascua or Cabilao be a good option for Feb-March for diving ?

cheers to you all and thanks for the help

Is 26C(79F) warm enough for you?
What is your definition of good night life? If you are talking on two legs version then you will be disappointed.
If you like a very small isolated island then Balicasag and Cabilao should fit the bill. Malapascua is slightly bigger with more resorts and the dives are better(my opinion).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom