ScubaPro Super Cinch Tank Strap Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaverickNH

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got my first ScubaPro BC (KnightHawk). The strap looks pretty simple and easy to swap tanks. But, having used only CAM bands before, it seems different that the buckle is unsecured from being pulled open by accident. Not an issue?

If they are properly adjusted, it is very unlikely it will accidentally come loose. All my BCDs use 2 of the SP straps so even if on opens up, the tank is still secure. If you only have one strap, then it would be wise to have a strap that fits loosely over the valve (help position the BCD) and will keep the tank from going very fary should your strap fail.

When properly adjusted, the lever fits snugly into the dent the strap makes in your tank.....:D

Ha ha! Actually, when properly adjusted, it takes a lot of force to open the buckle. Enough that I've never had it snag on something and open. Enjoy, it's the best strap out there as far as I can tell.

All the best, James

It is very secure. The only thing that i do not like about the old SP straps are that it is a pain to adjust when going from one diameter tank to another. If you use only one type of tank, this is a non issue and adjustment is a slight nuisance, not a deal breaker.

Sounds good y'all. I'll just worry about other stuff :) My SP KnightHawk BC has a valve strap that takes the weight off when cinching the tank strap on and, as I learned from the above, keeps the tank from dropping out if the tank slips.

Another question: I'm attaching the tank as described in the ScubaPro BC instructions - top of the hard plastic backplate at the shoulder of the tank. But that puts the tank so low I can't reach the tank valve. I'm pretty flexible, so perhaps that's too low?

Adjust the tank to a position you are comfortable with...

+1 for above advice. Adjust the valve (top) strap so that it hangs at the height you want it, and it is there everytime.

The SCUBAPRO Super Cinch Strap is the most secure strap made. It only requires the one strap, but the small upper strap can be used to help with B.C. & tank height adjustment, as you mentioned. Also, as awap pointed out it does give additional security.

Take care in closing the strap. Use an open hand in closing the strap to avoid getting caught.

Make sure that you wet your NEW strap before putting it on the SCUBA cylinder.

After a few dives, you will need to tighten the strap due to normal stretching.

Dumpster Diver ( DD ), I'm not sure why your strap was difficult to adjust, it should be easy.

As far as height of B.C., I find that I position it a little higher, so that the top of the handle is even with the valve.

But, as DD pointed out, it is your B.C., fit it so it works for you!

Yeah, it's the very best strap there is. I've been diving this for 20+ years, and never lost any tank.

Interestingly, my #2 son had one of those Aqualung style complication, and it opened up by itself twice during our last trip; for some reasons, the tank stayed put. The only good thing about it is, as DD pointed out, it's a bit easier to adjust when swapping tanks of different sizes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom