New to SLR, tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockndive17

Registered
Reaction score
I just purchased a nikon D7000 with aquatica housing. I'm starting out with the tokina 10-17 with 8 inch dome, and a 105 mm macro. I know the arguments of 60 vs 105 mm, but still went with the 105 to start. I am using an ikelite DS161 and my old ikelite DS125 for strobes. Previously I was shooting a point and shoot with the DS125, and so I am curious and excited about the transition. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make this transition less frustrating underwater. Also, since this is a bit bulkier than my previous setup...any travel tips? I've been seeing people shooting down the use of pelican cases for transporting their setups due to theft, but I also have had my bags weighed in airports in the philippines for carry on purposes...any suggestions?

For travel, I suggest a Cosmolite carry-on: standard sized and very light. I secure my camera inside the housing. The housing, ports, lenses, charger, filters, and other small miscellany all fit too. I have cannibalized padding from another case to help protect everything. My strobes and large dome port get packed in checked luggage, wrapped in neoprene and boxer shorts.

Give some thought to the camera settings. You don't want your camera switching from portrait to landscape because you tilted it sideways, for example. You may have a choice on dedicating a button to focus lock (recommended). You have a choice between continuous- and single-servo focus modes. Et cetera.

Ultimately, I think the only thing you'll find frustrating about the transition to SLR is having that 105 mm lens on when a whale shark cruises by.

I just purchased a nikon D7000 with aquatica housing. I'm starting out with the tokina 10-17 with 8 inch dome, and a 105 mm macro. I know the arguments of 60 vs 105 mm, but still went with the 105 to start. I am using an ikelite DS161 and my old ikelite DS125 for strobes. Previously I was shooting a point and shoot with the DS125, and so I am curious and excited about the transition. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make this transition less frustrating underwater. Also, since this is a bit bulkier than my previous setup...any travel tips? I've been seeing people shooting down the use of pelican cases for transporting their setups due to theft, but I also have had my bags weighed in airports in the philippines for carry on purposes...any suggestions?

Snip the hydrophone cable off!!!!! right fookin now!!!!!

Why do you hate the cable? does it get in the way with closure? I'm waiting for the housing to arrive still....

First as far as traveling I use this Tenba - Shootout: Large Rolling Backpack or this http://seahorsecases.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Code=SE-920&Category_Code=WHEELED_CASES.

I am shooting the same set-up plus they take all chargers, laptop and misc airplane necessities. Sure the carry on weights +30lbs but if I am going on a vacation that cost $$$$ I am not worrying about the 50/50 chance they weigh my carry-on and make me pay. Reality is I can rent a bc, fins, whatever at the destination if bags get lost, but not camera gear like this.

I have found the hydrophone to be of minimal use, if you like "diver sounds" in your videos it does soften the sound a little (IMHO). I was lazy and took off the cover it plugs into as this body pretty much stays in the housing. If you want to shoot video get use to using the Manual White Balance makes a big difference. If you like wide angle shoot in Manual. If you are familiar with shooting Manual great that will help. Also for shooting sun balls, etc take advantage of the 320 Sync for Shutter Speed. Also consider the 1.4 Kenko Tele converter for your Tokina. With the 10-17mm, Tele, and 105 you can cover just about any situation.

I am not worrying about the 50/50 chance they weigh my carry-on and make me pay.
I guess the real worry is that they make you check the bag, which has happened to me on Qantas with an overweight carry-on.

Yes Qantas is tough. They claim it is a safety issue, they don't want heavy bags falling on peoples heads. Another strategy is I wear a "camera vest" and yes I load it with my laptop, lenses, etc, till the point my carry on passes. Once out of check-in it all goes back in. Not for everyone but come on!

Somewhat funny example. We are in Tonga and they make you get on the scale with your carry-on, then just the carry on. Of course we have to pay for having an overweight bag. Now the other passengers who are MUCH, MUCH larger than us get on the scale, no charge as their carry-ons are underweight.:confused:

In general with most airlines if you make it past check-in but the bag won't fit in the overhead on the plane at least they "hand-check" it and you know you will have it.

If you are forced to check your camera bag at least pull the camera out. I don't understand the whole weight issue. Seems that those overheads can carry a lot of weight, but whatever. Also heavy people don't count.... you should know that!

mjh, which vest do you have? When you said that it can hold laptop, that makes me curious.

Yes Qantas is tough. They claim it is a safety issue, they don't want heavy bags falling on peoples heads. Another strategy is I wear a "camera vest" and yes I load it with my laptop, lenses, etc, till the point my carry on passes. Once out of check-in it all goes back in. Not for everyone but come on!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom