Experience With Supplemental Insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

debajo agua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I though purchasing secondary "dive insurance" would give me good piece-of-mind; especially, for the price, so I went with Security National Life:

https://secure.snfc.org/diversforms/

I bought plan "A" (Hyperbaric) and "C" (transportation) coverage. Before I made my purchased, I know I should have asked here first, but hindsight is 20/20. Anyhow, does anybody know of any positives or negatives about this insurance company?

As always, TIA

I'd be a little worried about signing up with an insurance company that didn't know how to spell ambulance.

They are secondary coverage only- no coverage if you don't have a primary insurer. DAN is also secondary but does not have that exclusion. They have a 5% deductible of the full charges- DAN does not.

They claim to have been around since 1987, possible, but I've never heard of them.

I'd make sure to get a FULL copy of the policy before sending any money and go over it carefully.

From the link provided: " Since 1987, we have insured tens of thousands of divers across the world and continue to be the industry leader in providing divers and water sports insurance. "
Seems most haven't heard of them, so industry leader IMHO is dubious.
I too recommend contacting DAN. THEY really are the industry leader and have been involved in dive medicine research for a long time. What you will find is a ton of threads here about DAN as an organization and about it's insurance and responsiveness to incidents world-wide. DAN also publishes Alert Diver Magazine, definitely a worthy read. DiveAssure is another choice to research for your comparison.

Me, personally, I have DAN's preferred plan - won't dive without it. And DAN allows me to register un-certified students to be covered for hyperbaric incidents during their coursework until they are certified. Nice to have, even better to have never had to use it.

I've heard the most good things about DAN insurance, so I bought it. I'm sure yours is fine, but I'd switch it up to DAN when it comes time to renew. Make sure to buy the best coverage (a little over $100).

D.A.N.'s the M.A.N.

TC:
I'd be a little worried about signing up with an insurance company that didn't know how to spell ambulance.

They are secondary coverage only- no coverage if you don't have a primary insurer. DAN is also secondary but does not have that exclusion. They have a 5% deductible of the full charges- DAN does not.

They claim to have been around since 1987, possible, but I've never heard of them.

I'd make sure to get a FULL copy of the policy before sending any money and go over it carefully.

So even with DAN being a secondary coverage, what kind of primary coverage qualifies as primary coverage? Would it be basically any health insurance that any employer provides to their wage s1ave?

Aside from other things mentioned, IMO there's a potential issue with any US based dive insurance that people in the US seem not to have not heard of - even if it's great, if you are in some foreign country I suspect they're even less likely to have heard of it. If you ever need it you want insurance that will not be questioned, and hopefully not have to pay (possibly a lot) up front to get transported/treated and deal with collecting on it later unless you're prepared to do that. Also, treatment of dive injuries can require a lot of coordination, so you might want to look into how that would be handled.

Last edited:
I went with Dive Assure, as they are primary insurance. I'm a DAN member, but didn't buy their insurance.

Hummm, I find it odd that most of you are unfamiliar with this company; especially, since "Scuba Gear Reports" compares them to DAN and Dive Assure. See link:

HOW TO / Dive Insurance

I check my policy with my insurance company prior to my purchase with DSI. My insurance cover 70% out-of-network (after my $1000 deductible), so a hospital visit to the deco chamber and a possible flight to the hospital, could be very expensive. I have no plans to dive outside of U.S. this year (although, this doesn't seem to be a factor with this policy) , nor do I foresee myself making a "Planned Dive" > 120' this year, so the insurance seems to fit my needs. I totally respect DAN and their dedication to the dive community. I think DAN will fit my needs better, in the future, when I become more technical.

Back
Top Bottom