Which is safer an Air Integrated computer ( AIC ) or a SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beaverdivers

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Which is safer an Air Integrated computer ( AIC ) or a SPG?

I have a Suunto cobra and never had a problem. I had an analog gauge that had the needle fall off it. Safer??

Both are only as safe as the diver is. Are you using tables or a wrist mount computer with your SPG? I'll admit that a AIC is another point of failure, but overall computers have greatly increased safety for recreational divers..

Both. Together. Every dive. No exceptions.

I think that the safer one is the one you are more likely to USE. I know it's expensive, but I got an Oceanic Heads Up Display and I think it is safer "for me" because I can see all of the important information without having to search for my Cobra (which I use as a backup) or an spg. In the time it would take for me to pull up my Cobra (have it on a retractable cord) and look at it I might have missed seeing something interesting - so I tended not to check it as often. With my HUD I only have to look down into the mask to get all my readings so I'm glancing at them all the time. Also, since the computer is attached to my head I actually hear my own alarms (rather than hearing "an" alarm that might be mine or my buddy's or someone else's). So ... personal preference, in my opinion.

Copied from my response to DaleC in another thread that it was being debated

I believe that having a wrist mounted AI wireless computer that you look at your dive information more often than if it was in a hose mounted unit. By looking at it more often I feel that it has some increase in the safety equation by the simple fact of more knowledge is more power. (as a side to this I don't think that divers using hose mounted units are unsafe in the slightest because of having hose mounted units.)

In addition I believe that either wireless or non wireless helps in taking the human error factor out of calculations.

The down side is it's another possible failure point for gear.

Air Integrated Computer is safer. A lot of people don't pay attention to their gas consumption or how to calculate their usage and the air integrated computer does.

From a personal standpoint, I'm sure I am safest when I dive with nothing but an SPG and my knowledge of past experience. When I am very familiar with the waters, I may even leave the compass behind. No sense in carrying gear that has no possible use and no sense in wasting batteries in an unneeded dive computer. I say I am safest under those conditions because I know that nitrogen loading is simply not an issue for that dive or day of diving.

When I wear a computer, I need it for dive management (navigation and/or gas loading).

I had an AI computer (Scubapro EDI) years ago. I gave it away as it was not very reliable (mostly in surface mode) and less convenient than a separate SPG and simple, nitrox capable,l inexpensive wrist computer (Oceanic Data Plus).

Both. Together. Every dive. No exceptions.

Why? If I have a SPG or an intergrated computer. If it fails. Dive terminated.
If I have a SPG AND an intergrated computer. Either one fails Dive terminated.

Neither. Either. Whatever. It's all opinion and rationalization.

The real question is; are there any discernible differences in the documented accident statistics and rates related to the choice of SPG or AIC?

Back
Top Bottom