Shoulder release in BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For reasons that are non-negotiable and that I don't care to go into, I'm looking at putting a shoulder release into one of my backplates.

On my older backpacks that I dive without a crotchstrap, I use a release because I keep the shoulder straps much tighter. However, on those I use a weight belt buckle on the left shoulder, released by pulling down towards my chest. With a wing attached, I'm not sure this would be effective because of the inflator hose. So, I'm considering putting it on my right shoulder. I've gone through in my mind everything that might catch on it and it seems like it wouldn't be so bad. Comments? Alternate suggestions?

Plastic quick releases are probably not an option because I have something like three days to get this sorted, which pretty much limits me to scissors+buckle solutions. It's a shame because I actually have a 'deluxe harness' lying around, but it's in storage too far away to deal with in time.

On my older backpacks that I dive without a crotchstrap, I use a release because I keep the shoulder straps much tighter. However, on those I use a weight belt buckle on the left shoulder, released by pulling down towards my chest. With a wing attached, I'm not sure this would be effective because of the inflator hose. So, I'm considering putting it on my right shoulder. I've gone through in my mind everything that might catch on it and it seems like it wouldn't be so bad. Comments?

YOU'RE GUNNA DIE!!!!11!!

But seriously... I have dived loaner twins with shoulder releases - one weight belt buckle & one plastic - and while I didn't like or need them, I'm still alive. The weight belt buckle one even came undone a couple of times during the dive (crappy cheap buckle with a bent tab) and nothing fell off, sank or rocketed to the surface

So, if you have a physical need for it, and you rig it properly, should be ok. Might as well get some split fins and a spare air while you're at it

If you've got a Halcyon or DSS Backplate, then the following are solutions for harness loosening/cinching-up:

Cinch Quick-adjust Harness | Halcyon Dive Systems
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1340

(I've retro-fitted a cinch system to a steel Halcyon BP).

Otherwise, what do you think about using one of these for a release buckle? -->
Harness-Bryden-Buckle [Harness-Bryden-Buckle] - $26.95 : Tech Diving Limited, a subsidiary of Scuba Training and Technology Inc.

However, on those I use a weight belt buckle on the left shoulder, released by pulling down towards my chest. With a wing attached, I'm not sure this would be effective because of the inflator hose.
Just curious why there might be a conflict between the inflator hose and the release buckle?
So, I'm considering putting it on my right shoulder. I've gone through in my mind everything that might catch on it and it seems like it wouldn't be so bad. Comments? Alternate suggestions?
My comment is that it shouldn't make any difference. What do you clip on your right side? For me, it is my back-up light, my can light head, and my primary second stage when I am using my necklace. Depending on where you place the buckle, it does not have to interfere with clipping items on the right chest strap.
Plastic quick releases are probably not an option because I have something like three days to get this sorted, which pretty much limits me to scissors+buckle solutions.
Guess it depends on where you are. If I had the need this morning, I would go to REI at 8am and buy a 2" quick-release buckle, take the harness and quick release to a local shoe shop and have it sewn in, and be home before noon.

Reactions: Jax
YOU'RE GUNNA DIE!!!!11!!

So, if you have a physical need for it, and you rig it properly, should be ok. Might as well get some split fins and a spare air while you're at it

You got to put on a dandy integrated safe second as well, and make sure you have a 7' hose so people know you are DIR.

When I first went to a BP/w, I had some shoulder problems and thought I needed a release on the shoulder strap. I set it up a QR fairly low on the shoulder strap by leaving about an extra foot of webbing without cutting the continuous webbing. It worked OK but I soon found I did not need it. I vaguely recall setting up that rig with a weight belt buckle but don't remember how I did it. The QR was easier to reset for the next dive.

Just curious why there might be a conflict between the inflator hose and the release buckle?

If the buckle is above the d-ring, the inflator would be over the top of the buckle. Additionally, after it's unclipped, the inflator could still be in the restraint on the d-ring. No?

I used a shoulder release on my left strap for over 35 years with a wing. I still run a backplate where the belly-band pulls through the backplate to tighten the shoulder straps. I used a stainless cam weight belt buckle that hinged on top, attached to the bottom strap. I bend the metal for higher friction so it took more force to open than you would want on a weight belt to prevent accidental release. It never failed even during diver rescue drills where I was lifted by a center-back D-ring on the back pack. Releasing the shoulder strap is especially useful when doffing cylinders in the water.

I put mine on the left because I am right handed and wear gauges on my left arm, which snag on straps when doffing. I never noticed interference with anything while in use, but placed the buckle well below the arm pit. It interfered with arm movement closer to the pit and shoulder D-ring.

Before positioning the buckle, slide in on the strap where you think you want before cutting the webbing. Slide it up and down until you find a position that works for you. Make sure you cut the strap with enough extra webbing so you still have some adjustment range. You will likely have to replace the belly-band end of the webbing below the buckle unless you have a lot of extra length now. I suggest putting the buckle on the belly-band side of the cut so the strap can’t be pulled out and lost when disconnected. If you prefer to put the buckle on the shoulder end, be sure to put a keeper on the other side to prevent pullout and loss.

If you are not comfortable with the security of a weight belt buckle, you could terminate both sides of the cut with D-rings and connect with a snap shackle. It is more expensive and is a longer assembly, but is secure enough to stake your life on. I am only 5'6" so the added length of the assembly was too much for me.

SUN-58428.jpg

Plastic quick releases are probably not an option because I have something like three days to get this sorted, which pretty much limits me to scissors+buckle solutions. It's a shame because I actually have a 'deluxe harness' lying around, but it's in storage too far away to deal with in time.

If you have a outdoors store or boating store around you should be able to find one of these pretty easily

REI Trovato Dual Side Release Buckle - 2.0 Inch Wide at REI.com

Back
Top Bottom