Diving from LA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bombay High

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi guys,
I will be in LA along with 6 other colleagues of mine for work, but we have the weekend of January 28th and 29th free.
We would love to do a dive (or 2).
What would you recommend ?
All 6 of us are commercial divers with a minimum of 15 years experience, but 2 of the 6 are not used to open circuit scuba, and are not experts with buoyancy etc. They are Lead boot divers. We all have PADI cards.
We would also like to hire a private guide to take us on the dive.

Thank you

Bombay High

Come to Pacific Wilderness Dive Shop in San Pedro/Port of Los Angeles:
Scuba Center in Los Angeles, South Bay, Orange County: Scuba Lessons, Scuba Gear, Scuba Repair - Welcome to Pacific Wilderness Online!

They have an onsite 3m deep pool to help your mates fine tune their buoyancy & equipment skills (but you should call and make an appointment). Pacific Wilderness is a dive gear & equipment supplier for the LA Port Police, LA County Sheriff & Fire Dept Dive Teams, and the Wrigley/Univ of Southern Calif Science Center on Catalina Island. They were also suppliers for commercial diving students attending the former (?) College of Oceaneering in Willmington Calif.

Come join us later on Sat 28Jan in the evening for our annual Night Squid Dive:
http://www.pacificwilderness.com/Dive Activities/Flyers/01-28-12 Beach Flyer.pdf

Kevrumbo,
Thank you for the info.
I'm not sure my buddies will need a pool session, but maybe we will try that out.
I saw the flyer, but it says that it is open for club members only.
Sounds like a great dive though.

Me and a few other guys are doing a 3-tank dive on the sundiver express out of long beach to Cagtalina island if you are interested. Leaves at 6:30 am and returns around 4pm. Should be a great day od diving.
Steve

As a visitor to the area myself, I would HIGHLY recommend planning a day of boat diving. Although there are lots of fascinating critters in the shore diving sites, entries and exits can be challenging for those without experience in surf, and you won't get the gorgeous "sunlight through the kelp" experience that is the quintessence of SoCal diving. But if you have two days, you might spend one of them going over to Catalina, which, if conditions are favorable, would be a low-stress way for your non-OC friends to reacquaint themselves with being buoyant :)

Do the Sea Trek at Avalon. The hard hat/lead footed divers should be right in their environs.

Kevrumbo,
Thank you for the info.
I'm not sure my buddies will need a pool session, but maybe we will try that out.
I saw the flyer, but it says that it is open for club members only.
Sounds like a great dive though.
Club members only for the lunch BBQ --but come over anyway. Definitely come by for the night dive. . . !

Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for the information.
@Kevrumbo - I would be interested in the night dive, but none of the others are.
We are all blackwater divers, and one of the guys will have come out of a 1120ft saturation dive (he is in deco right now), which is eternal night for 3 weeks.
They are all looking for the experience that Lynne describes.
Clear water, beautiful things to look at and the 2 most important things - buoyancy and light :)

Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for the information.
@Kevrumbo - I would be interested in the night dive, but none of the others are.
We are all blackwater divers, and one of the guys will have come out of a 1120ft saturation dive (he is in deco right now), which is eternal night for 3 weeks.
They are all looking for the experience that Lynne describes.
Clear water, beautiful things to look at and the 2 most important things - buoyancy and light :)
Here you go then, weekend of 28-29Jan, Catalina Island on my favorite Port of LA based Liveaboard diveboat:
Great Escape Southern California Scuba Dive Boat Calendar

http://diveboat.com/

Hi guys,
I will be in LA along with 6 other colleagues of mine for work, but we have the weekend of January 28th and 29th free.
We would love to do a dive (or 2).
All 6 of us are commercial divers with a minimum of 15 years experience, but 2 of the 6 are not used to open circuit scuba, and are not experts with buoyancy etc. They are Lead boot divers. We all have PADI cards.
We would also like to hire a private guide to take us on the dive.

Thank you

Bombay High

Here is a list of California dive boats?? Might help!
California Dive Boats : The Official Page

Back
Top Bottom