Bali-one week-Recommendations for where to stay and dive - end of Feb. (after Phuket)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any recommendations for best of Bali diving - which dive sites, areas, which dive ops? For places to stay - would it be best to stay near one dive op and travel to other dive sites? We'll be there for one week with 2 divers (plus one snorkeler friend - any areas we could go together where a snorkeler would have fun while we dove?)

This will be after week in Phuket mid-February- same questions for over there!

Seems that the besdt world diving is over there, but it's confusing to figure out !

Tulamben area, snorkeling on the Liberty wreck is very nice, quite spectacular with its resident school of jack fish. Otherwise Menjangan island can be snorkeled too as well as parts of Amed.

Strictly diving I would stay in Tulamben : Tauch Terminal resort has very nice grounds, two pools a pleasantly built accom building with great terraces. Newer Ocean View resort looks very nice too, large bungalows in huge gardens, cannot be more in front of the Liberty wreck.
For diving Tulamben, I can recommend Liberty Dive centre, nitrox free policy, they can provide a private guide like I asked for (I am a photographer who takes too much time for other buddies).

If you want to change and split your week to try northwest Pemuteran/Menjangan area, Adi Assri resort is very pleasant too, nice bungalows in a breezy garden, I really liked their inhouse dive centre, friendly pirate capt'n' Paul's SeaRovers

Maybe base yourself in Padang Bai (small fishing village) which is near to many of the best dives sites.

Alternatively, if you want more night life/restaurants/accommodation choices, try staying in Sanur in the South, which will mean many different dive shops to choose from, and less rural than the East!

Tulamben is a great base for divers, but there isn't much else to do. The main road is just dive centres, few shops and restaurants, and places to stay.

Tulamben is a great base for divers, but there isn't much else to do. The main road is just dive centres, few shops and restaurants, and places to stay.
But maybe the OP would like to avoid the mass of tourists most of them located in the southern part of Bali... It is not because the place is "rural" that you don't have a choice of dive shops, There are at least 10 in Tulamben!

After one week of Phuket, he may probably enjoy something quieter than a tourist town. My view is probably biased but each time I land Bali, I want to leave fast for the eastern shores as soon as possible and leave behind the Sanur/Kuta for the mass tourism. At some periods is Bali is becoming something like the Costa Brava of Asia.

I think you'll find Bali's diving to be more rewarding and superior to Thailand's.
I agree with everything Luko said.
Sanur is only worthy of a sleep if you plan to dive Nusa Penida. Kuta is tourism ugliness at its best :vomit:
Padang Bai has always felt a bit dirty and shady to me for some reason. I would never choose to stay there instead of closer to the best dive sites for a few more restaurants. Nothing there is that good!

Someone will probably jump on this post to persuade you into a dive safari for Bali, but it sure sounds like too much hassle to pack/unpack every day & sleep in a different place every night.

There is enough to do topside in the Tulamben area unless you need boutique shops and malls. The nearby Tirtagangga Water Palace and Lempuyang Luhur Temple are great for a half day sight-seeing tour. That part of Bali is beeeeeautiful!

I give a vote for Liberty Dive Resort. Wayan, the Balinese owner, is operating a friendly, efficient, clean, and comfortable dive operation. LDR is only about 200 meters walk to the beach entry of the Liberty Wreck, and porters carry your gear.
You can get a massage at the resort. Wayan might be persuaded to bring in a traditional dance show performance in the evening. Do get in touch with Wayan's driver, Ricky, for transport or a half day tour. He's comes highly recommended by divers for a good reason.

Menjangan has excellent wall diving and corals.

I've heard that both areas have good snorkeling, but I'm not a snorkeler.

Luko (and the OP) you would love it in Lembongan (that is if you havent been). Easier access timewise than Tulamben (40 min by speedboat from Sanur - no need to get through hours of traffic like Tulamben) It has all the charm of Bali pre 80s, rustic with a bare bones feel. Not for anyone that needs 5* though. BTW the diving around Nusa Penida and Lembongan is world class.

Oh hangon I forgot you carry a couple of women in your baggage when you dive travel...:rofl3: I at least leave my couple of women at home when Im dive travelling instead :eyebrow:

Hi
I’m just going to tag on to this thread as I have the same question, just going to be there late April. I’m more interested in Menjangan Island and Secret Bay. Any recommendations on where to stay near there and a good dive operator? Adi Assri looks pretty good, but I'm not sure about availability for my dates. Any other recomendations? Also what is the best way to get from here to Tulamben? It looks far on the map but its probably only 100kms?

Last edited:
I've used the Adi Assri and also the Aneka Bagus in Pemuteran. As for dive centre, I recommend the guys at Reefseen http://www.reefseendivers resort.com Amanda, Adrian and Chris are great hosts, they'll certainly make you welcome.

They also have rooms, I think 8 or so, maybe you would choose to stay at the centre, but you'll have to book in advance as they get busy.

It is a long picturesque drive from Tulamben, maybe 2 hours, with many potholes and trucks, but easy driving.

Hi
I’m just going to tag on to this thread as I have the same question, just going to be there late April. I’m more interested in Menjangan Island and Secret Bay. Any recommendations on where to stay near there and a good dive operator? Adi Assri looks pretty good, but I'm not sure about availability for my dates. Any other recomendations? Also what is the best way to get from here to Tulamben? It looks far on the map but its probably only 100kms?
Adi Assri is quite good if you select the deluxe bungalows. just be aware their restaurants are awful (take it from a frenchman, we care about food, no kidding) and way overpriced. But if you go out you can find some decent rumah makan especially nearby the mosque (walk right handside going out of the AdiAssri). I have tried a range and would recommend MaiMai Lu anytime.
Although Secret bay is worth a try, I would tend to think Seraya Secrets is much better for macro stuff and closer to Tulamben too. I am not really fond of Menjangan, the corals are goot but not up to Liberty's, and it looks like there is no fish at all.
It takes something like 3 hours to get from Tulamben to Pemuteran (where Adi Assri is located). it's a long way that you can arrange with local drivers and a private car for about 400kIDR (45$).
In Pemuteran/Menjangan/Secret bay area, I dived with Searovers and would recommend them too, fantasy pirate Capt'n' Paul is doing a good job, they have experienced indonesian guides and their boats are some of the best/fastest around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom