Voyager+plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremy_diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

I have a voyager exp that is attached to a DR plate. What is the trick to set it up right?? The top tank strap is sitting just where the tank curb and it is still too high so i keep banging my head.... do I need to make more holes in the wing strap????

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your post. Tell me more. Sound like you have the rig on the tank just right. A couple of reasons you might be getting "tank head"...I assume first of all this is happening when you are diving, not dry on land? If that's the case, let's make sure (1) you have the proper size TransPac. Should most likely match your t-shirt size, but you can always send me pics at kathleen@diverite.com and I'll double check. I need straight on, profile and back. T-shirt is fine, not need to sweat it out in a wetsuit/drysuit.

(2) Let's make sure you are donning the rig properly. You want to completely loosen the shoulder straps, don the rig, close the chest strap first, waist belt/crotch strap next and then stand up, allowing the tank to "pull" the rig down as you stand up. Then snug up the shoulders and the tank should be place properly throughout the dive.

Let me know more and I'm happy to help sort it out.

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen!

The setup is a Voyager wing with aluminium backplate.... I have to wing attached to the plate by the lower grommet but it looks like it should be sitting lower than that, however, it is the lowest hole already. I surround in red the grommets that I am using...

PKG_DR_ALM_4700-DPS-2T.jpg

I actually just found this pic on internet and my tank sits as low as it is on the pic.... Shouldn't the top strap be a lot lower? it seemed a lot better on the Rec that I have as well.
1004tests03.jpg

Thanks
Jeremy

Hi,

Okay, tell me more. The rig on the girl in the pic looks pretty good. Maybe the tank is a bit low...but if your tank rides that low I'm confused as to how you are getting hit on the head with it. Do you wear a crotch strap (critical to do so)?

Does this happen during a dive or when you are on land? Thanks,

Kathleen

Well, lets try to explain better..... the tank sits like on the pic, which means that the top strap gets loose sometimes. The head bang happens during the dive, i guess i could lower the plate down my back too but it'd get a little loose on the arm straps...

Hey Jeremy,

If the tank is riding that low out of the water, the only thing I can think of that would push it to hit your head during a dive is lack of a crotch strap. I haven't gotten feedback from you on how you don the rig or if you wear a crotch strap, so assuming that you are doing what I've written above, then we need to look at the tightness of the harness. Your entire rig should stay completely stable with you regardless if you do a giant stride, somersault underwater or stand on your head. It shouldn't move if you've got it on properly.

You definitely want to lower the cam enough so it doesn't slip off. The issue isn't the placement of the cam...the issue we need to figure out is why your rig is traveling up your back during the dive. Do you wear a crotch strap?

Thanks,
K.

Hi,

Yes I have a crotch strap. However the C, strap is pulling on the waist strap at all. It does stop the wing to come up on the surface but yes it still moves a little..... Should it be tight so it does bring the waist strap down a little???

image (2).jpgimage (3).jpgimage.jpg

Cheers
Jeremy

Hi,

You do want the crotch strap to pull on the waist belt so that the waist belt forms a "v" if you look at yourself straight-on in the mirror. That should help the rig from moving underwater and banging the back of your head. Let me know!

Kathleen

Back
Top Bottom