LP second stage oring shore rating questions and size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TT_Vert

Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased some EDGE flexible hoses and have discovered that one of them doesn't have an oring. From my research the standard size is a -010 but I'm not sure about which shore rating or material to get. Is shore 90 the way to go or are 70s acceptable? I will be diving nitrox if that makes a difference. Any suggest of the best place to obtain these?

Thanks much
Dave

Assuming that the hose is new, contact the vendor. If that is not successful, contact cerich here on the board. I am sure he will send you an o-ring.

You can buy o-ring kits from any online scuba equipment supplier for almost nothing. Usually the mailing cost is more than the o-ring. I doubt that the shore rating would come into play, just so it fits. You might try NAPA also. Try to buy something made in the USA. I don't trust the Chinese when it comes to stuff like that.

Thanks guys. The issue is that I don't have a tank so we need to go to a pool rental to test so I'm trying to ensure I have the right orings before I go. Or I'll do what I did last night and waste an entire night at the pool because of the lack of an oring. I'd like to purchase spare orings as well, maybe I'll just hit our LDS and grab some. Surely they'll have some. Is there a good way to get a bad oring out? It appears that there are very tight confines there. Fortunately in this case there is no oring in there so it'll be easy to get the new one on but I'm sure it'd be difficult to get an old one out. I'd assume though that these rarely fail based on the design/location.

Thanks
Dave

You can buy o-ring kits from any online scuba equipment supplier for almost nothing. Usually the mailing cost is more than the o-ring. I doubt that the shore rating would come into play, just so it fits. You might try NAPA also. Try to buy something made in the USA. I don't trust the Chinese when it comes to stuff like that.
Is there some reason you felt the need to put that last line in on an international board? Seriously, politics have no place in this sort of discussion.
To the OP: Other places to obtain o-rings are McMaster Carr, local hardware stores, and you can always check the DIY section here at Scubaboard. There was just recently an "o-ring swap" thread where people traded different sizes they have spares of and seemed like a lot of happy people from the thread.

As for getting o-rings out, you can get a set of o-ring picks, usually in brass, that work well, but often you can get them out without too much effort with longish fingernails or a small pointy object. As long as you're careful not to scrape a lot around the o-ring with steel tools you should be fine.

I think you need to learn the definition of "politics".

-010 is the standard size for the o-ring that goes in the end of the LP reg hose that attaches to the 2nd stage.
This o-ring is kind of annoying to remove -- you need to use an o-ring pick to get to it.
I use EPDM Shore 70A o-rings for this particular application. They always seem to work.
I apply a light coating of lubricant to the o-ring prior to installation.

-011 is the standard size for the o-ring that goes on the end of the LP reg hose that attaches to the 1st stage port.
I use EPDM Shore 70A o-rings for this application, although a harder durometer would work, too.

I use oxygen-compatible Tribolube 71 whenever I'm dealing with reg o-ring lubrication. The manufacturer states that it is compatible with EPDM. I have found that to be the case.
Try to buy something made in the USA. I don't trust the Chinese when it comes to stuff like that.
Over the years I've ordered o-rings online from several different retailers (Dive Gear Express, Scubatoys, McMaster Carr, OringsUSA, Grainger). Never paid any attention to the country in which they were manufactured. No failures to report yet. :idk:
FWIW, I always get EPDM rings since they are oxygen-compatible and have a long shelf-life.

I ended up getting viton orings at my LDS, thanks for the input guys. I got a few spares just to be safe. The LDS is turning into harbor freight for me. I go in for one thing leave w/ hundreds of dollars of things I probably don't need.

Dave

I ended up getting viton orings at my LDS, thanks for the input guys. I got a few spares just to be safe. The LDS is turning into harbor freight for me. I go in for one thing leave w/ hundreds of dollars of things I probably don't need.

Dave

I have a couple of boxes of the harbor freight o-rings, a few o-ring "save-a-dive" kits like the LDS sells, and others of unknown origin, but the best set I have found thus far was from these guys:

Save a Dive O-ring Kits

The viton o-rings from harbor freight have not really been the right size for most of my dive gear I have needed to service, but I do not remember right now if its the metric or standard set.

TT vert,
Although I have brass o-ring picks, I find that they not work very well in that application. My favorite source of o-ring picks is my dentist. He replaces his dental picks very frequently and gives me some of the old ones. They are still very sharp, so one needs to be careful using them around brass fittings. For that o-ring, which is buried in the hose connection, I merely "stab" the o-ring with a sharp pick and pop it out, being careful not to touch the metal with the pick's point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom