Aqualung Supreme "specially adjusted"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
According to Aqualung, their Supreme regs are "Specially adjusted to resist freezing." I have found some reference to this being a change in the MP adjustment, but I do not understand how this impacts freezing or "performance" of the regulator. Also, could one not simply make this adjustment on a non-supreme reg and accomplish the same thing? I gather there is some reason one would not want a regulator adjusted this way if not diving in cold water.

Any help?

I sure there will be better and more detailed explanations to follow but in a nutshell if the Intermediate Pressure is reduced cooling and possible ice formation is also reduced. The downside is that gas flow is also diminished a bit, theoretically reducing performance.

I asked basically the same question here. What I gathered from that thread is that the Supreme is somewhat detuned to help reduce the chances of freezing, along with the secondary seal. Detuning an unsealed conshelf (XIV, XXI, XXII, etc) should improve it's cold water performance, as detuning any reg would.

I sure there will be better and more detailed explanations to follow but in a nutshell if the Intermediate Pressure is reduced cooling and possible ice formation is also reduced. The downside is that gas flow is also diminished a bit, theoretically reducing performance.
So if I hook my IP gauge up and adjust the MP pressure on the 1st stage to the lower end of specs [factory/manual recommends btx 9-10] this will lessen possibility of icing ???.....

So if I hook my IP gauge up and adjust the MP pressure on the 1st stage to the lower end of specs [factory/manual recommends btx 9-10] this will lessen possibility of icing ???.....
Basically, yes. Air flow is decreased, and doesn't get as cold. I don't have my manuals in front of me, they are in the dive locker at work, but I believe a Conshelf is set about 10-15 psi (1 bar) higher than a Conshelf Supreme. Then you have the enviro seal that keeps everything away from the internals, except for your liquid buffer.

I should have searched, I see this has been answered before, at least in part. At least on the "older" legend regs the specs called for an MP setting of 137±7 psi (standard) and 123±7 psi (supreme).

So a standard can simply be adjusted down to match the supreme.

That leads me to wonder if this difference in IP would be be noticeable to a diver. If using a Supreme for warm water is it worth adjusting up to 135 or so?

Yes, you can adjust it to a lower IP, but you don't have the additional enviro seal. I can't tell any difference between my Conshelfs and my Conshelf Supreme, but I like my Supreme better. Most of my diving is 35' or less and visibility measured in inches not feet. So I feel like it's giving me some additional protection for the internals.

I reread your post and realized what you were asking... Yes, you can tune it to the higher IP, you can't tell the difference.

Back
Top Bottom