zeagle or aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finflipper49

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi new guy here, trying to decide between zeagle DX/DSV or Aqulung titan LX supreme. This would be my first reg. I've been doing my research and think I have it narrowed down to these two. There is an LDS for each within the same distance from me for purchase and service. I live in MN and the coldest dive would be superior and deepest 130ft. I here alot more talk about people using Aqualung than Zeagle so. Simplicity in design and reliabity are important to me. Please help me decide. Also, is it critical on which octo I use ( brand, ballanced vs unballanced)? I'm trying to keep cost down as much as possible. I'm also open to other recomendations. Thanks for any help.

My husbands first reg was an Aqualung Legend. we had nothing but problems with it as everytime we got ready for a dive trip, it would ALWAYS free flow and need to be cracked open to adjust it. In contrast, my Zeagle never had to be adjusted. My husband gave up after 2 years and bought a Zeagle reg. Five years later and we have yet to have to open it for anything but it's annual service.

Also, Zeagle is a US company with unparalleled customer service. When you call you actually speak to a person in Florida! Not only that but they will know what you're talking about. :)

I remember Superior being a very cold lake, so I'd think you want to get into drysuit diving and a cold water reg.

I have both Aqualung/Apeks and Zeagle regs. Both are excellent. Since they have a huge worldwide dealer network, Aqualung/Apeks sells many more regs than Zeagle. The Zeagle regs are essentially Apeks clones with a few minor changes. In fact, before they began their own reg line (circa 2000) Zeagle marketed Apeks regs in the US.

I, too, am a Zeagle fan.

Check their sub forum here and you'll see the level of customer care and responsiveness that has made their reputation.

There's very little difference between the two.....both environmentally sealed diaphragm 1st stages with balanced 2nd's.
Any preference one way or the other is going to be subjective....so here's one subjective view....I don't like soft purge covers, they stain, soften, and can disintegrate after a few years.
Look at Apeks or HOG.

I've owned and dove both. As said before, Zeagle has marketed the Apeks line before. Apeks has been purchased by AquaLung.

Most of the AL line has seen improvements from these designs.

The ACD or Auto Closing Device is an excellent feature.

I'm a big Atomic Fan and owner, not to add confusion, I now use AL equipment in my business for Students (Calypso-Titan LX) and I dive with a Legend LX.

Titan LX is a good middle of the road reg.

Performance-wise, it's a toss up. In a blind demo with identical tuning, I doubt that anyone would be able to tell the difference between the two regs.
As Fishpie pointed out, both are based on the same design -- diaphragm 1st stages with balanced 2nd stages.

In recent years, the Aqualung Titan LX 2nd stage was identical to the low-end Aqualung Legend 2nd stage (the one without the external breathing adjustment knob). Excellent reg. Under the guise of "innovation," Aqualung just came out with a new Legend design (MBS: Master Breathing System) which removes the external Venturi lever and integrates control of an inner Venturi "bar" into the external breathing adjustment knob. Big mistake to change a well-tested reg design, in my opinion. Thankfully, Aqualung has not implemented MBS in the Titan LX.

DiveMaven's experience with her husband's Aqualung Legend reg is unfortunate. My Aqualung Legend reg has been very dependable over the years. It breathes incredibly well -- virtually identical to my Apeks regs. FWIW, the low pressure seat on the vast majority of 2nd stages (not just the Legend) takes a set over time. Such "grooving" on the seat can be compensated for by increasing the cracking pressure a little. On the Legend, this tuning adjustment does not require "cracking open" the 2nd stage (as DiveMaven described). All it takes is removal of the 2nd stage from the reg hose and a tiny twist of the crown orifice with a [-]Phillips[/-] flathead screwdriver. It should take a minute or two tops. Not a big deal at all. It's a service that most reg techs would do for free for a customer who normally gets his/her regs serviced there.

One advantage of going with a Zeagle reg is that official overhaul kits and certain reg parts can be purchased "openly" through online retailers. The same cannot be said about Aqualung reg kits/parts.

As keyshunter mentioned, Aqualung has a global dealer network, which might come in handy if you are on a dive trip to an exotic location and you have an issue with your Aqualung reg. There is a higher probability that the reg tech on-site will be able to fix your Aqualung reg vs. a Zeagle reg. If you go with the Zeagle and plan a far-off dive vacation, I would recommend purchasing a set of official overhaul kits and taking the kits with you.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
On the Legend, this tuning adjustment does not require "cracking open" the 2nd stage (as DiveMaven described). All it takes is removal of the 2nd stage from the reg hose and a tiny twist of the crown orifice with Phillips screwdriver. It should take a minute or two tops. Not a big deal at all. It's a service that most reg techs would do for free for a customer who normally gets his/her regs serviced there.

Excellent description of what we had to do...technically didn't have to "crack it open", but that's what we always called it when we had to hassle with it at the start of every dive trip. Nothing more irritating that being ready to dive and having your reg free flow, a total pain!

Both are solid, well tested designs, pick which ever one you like the best.

And as for Divemaven's AL issues.....my guess it that was more of a bad tech problem than a reg problem.

Back
Top Bottom