Thougts about masks fogging up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highflier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
While snorkling one of my biggest problems is the mask fogging up. Yes I know solutions, spit clearing and stuff like that helps. The later I do not like cause of getting salt into eyes is almost as bad as foggy mask. Also there are those that wear contacts ( I am not one of them, I picked up a prescription mask that is close enough to what I need)

Anyways I was thinking that the problem is causes by the tempture difference causing condinsation in the mask right. Has any manufaturer ever considered or tried to do a ble or tripple pane lense, thus insulating the cold water from the warm inner layer of the mask?

This is obviously what happens with house windows. As a kid I remember them actually getting ice on the inside and fogging up quite a bit. The newer windows in my house never fog up even when it is 70 inside and below 0 outside.

Highflier
PS. Maybe I should have filed for a patent before posting LOL

Mask manufactures do not seem to share your design ideas likely as it's not necessary. My masks do not fog. Not any of them. The temp difference is not caused by your warm face rather by the difference between the outside air and the water temp.

There is a layer of protection that should be removed from a new mask. I use toothpaste (non-gel), but people also use heat, windex, and soap.

Once your mask is clear of the layer of protection than use popular drops (sea gold, spit, baby shampoo) to keep it fog free. If it continues to fog likely you did not clean the protective layer fully.

Last edited:
We have a SP mask that no amount of SeaBuff seems to be able to stop fogging (none of the other 1/2 dozen do, just this one, however it's also the one the wife feels fits best). I must have buffed it 10 times and it still bloody fogs. Next step might be a rag on the end of a dremmel!
A couple of drops baby shampoo works wonders though.

Yea,
I have read that I should try the toothpast thing, I probably will, but just the same I was thinking about a design improvement not anything more.

BTW my mask was bought online and was not that expensive, I think about $60.00. I do not know if it is plastic or glass. Is the toothpaste going to FUBAR it, if it is plastic?

I do keep a small container of JJ baby poo with my dive gear.

Highflier

Hair conditioner works well. We carry a small bottle in our dive bag. Discovered this years ago in Cozumel. My wife had very long hair and left conditioner in. Some got on her mask and she was surprised that she had no more fogging problems.

I use a lighter for my masks. The factory film just burns off and you won't have issues with fogging anymore. I'd be surprised if you had a plastic lens. A $60 mask is pretty middle-of-the-road. My mask is a ~$30 version and it's a glass lens.

I just search my old e-mails (had this thing for 2 years already) and found the sales order This is the mask
Snorkel-Mart | Snorkel Gear | Snorkeling Equipment | Snorkeling Combos |

Also for those that want a prescription mask, I choose this site only becuase it was stupid simple to get exactly the prescrition that I wanted. Also I choose not to get a purge valve.

It does say it is glass so no worries there.

Highflier

SeaVision USA works wonders. My mask *never* fogs and it works on a wet or dry mask and for multiple dives. I absolutely love it. People always ask to use it though, even if they didn't forget their own...

The notion of a thermo-pane dive mask is creative. Insulated glass does manage to slow the transmission of heat energy and would result in a slightly warmer inside surface. The problem is that even in a house, ventilation and moisture management are part of having clear windows in the winter. Your mask is like a little terrarium with your facial skin, eyeballs and perhaps an occasional nasal snort driving the humidity is up. Condensation is inevitable, hence the fallback of cleaning then adding surfactant to promote invisible sheeting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom