"Big Miracle" Scubapro regulator [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : "Big Miracle" Scubapro regulator

Sponsored Link
Phocus
January 16th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Saw the trailer for a new movie coming out in Feb called "Big Miracle". Noticed Drew Barrymore's character diving with a Scubapro regulator (2nd stage) that I didn't recognize. All metal housing, very classic looking design. Anyone know what model it is? Perhaps a new regulator coming out in 2012?

You can view the trailer here: Big Miracle Movie | Official Site for the Big Miracle Film | In Theaters February 3, 2012 (http://www.everybodyloveswhales.com/videos.php)

Regulator can be veiwed at the 1:56 mark.

agilis
January 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Looks to me like a classic Scubapro 109, a design almost a half century old and still as good as it gets. I use one, my favorite with its Mark V 1st stage.

Fishpie
January 16th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Looks like it's a regular 109 or BA.....standard Scubapro from the 60's to the 90's.
Still the coolest looking 2nd stage around and they perform as good as they look.

parzdiver
January 16th, 2012, 10:36 AM
From the video (viewed on an iPad) it looks like a 109/BA more than the A700.

Slamfire
January 16th, 2012, 11:03 AM
It's a R-109 with what looks like a Mk10 first stage. It could be a Mk5 but it looks like there might be the edge of a rotating turret peeking just over her shoulder. She's also using a J-valve. Kicking it old school.

agilis
January 16th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I think it's a Mark 5 first stage, which is how they usually were paired. I've had my 109/Mark V since 1972, have used it all over the world, absolutely unsurpassed. I upgraded to 156 balanced adjustable status back in the 90s, and to an S poppet more recently. I don't think it's the official 156 Balanced Adjustable because it would say so on the cover ring. That thing is so clean it's either new or rechromed, which might explain the absence of any lettering on the cover ring if it is a 156. Or maybe Scubapro has begun selling new parts for this little wonder. :)

Her whole rig is fairly 'old school', though I prefer to think of at least the regulator as 'first rate equipment from the high point of functionality and reliability' over the term 'old school'. BTW, it's just 109, not R-109. That rig sure does turn heads and makes her look like a rock...never mind. :)

beaverdivers
January 16th, 2012, 12:08 PM
SCUBAPRO - Adj. 2nd stage - Time Tested Tough - Goes Hollywood again!

Aqua-Andy
January 16th, 2012, 12:08 PM
This story took place in the early 90's I believe, so I'm sure there was a lot more of this equipment around back then. I can't wait to take the kids to see this movie, it looks great and I remember when it really happened.

akdeepdiver
January 16th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Ill ask the Dive Shop here that provided the gear for the movie. I will say, that while it was being shot, I got alot of stories from the shop about the film crew and requests/demands about the gear (mostly laughable stuff)

scubafanatic
January 16th, 2012, 12:29 PM
wonder why they went 'vintage' on her gear ? Given the product placement advertising opportunities in movies, they are usually 'advertising' the latest/greatest gizmos that impressionable customers will go out and buy right now.

scubafanatic
January 16th, 2012, 12:32 PM
oh OK, took place in the 90's so I see why the 'vintage' gear.

fisheater
January 16th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Ill ask the Dive Shop here that provided the gear for the movie. I will say, that while it was being shot, I got alot of stories from the shop about the film crew and requests/demands about the gear (mostly laughable stuff)

Do tell!

Aqua-Andy
January 16th, 2012, 01:05 PM
wonder why they went 'vintage' on her gear ? Given the product placement advertising opportunities in movies, they are usually 'advertising' the latest/greatest gizmos that impressionable customers will go out and buy right now.

Well it's kind of hard to set a story twenty years ago and have all modern gear. Just think if all the gear was modern or if they were riding brand new SkiDoo sleds. I think it would look kind of silly.

scubafanatic
January 16th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Well it's kind of hard to set a story twenty years ago and have all modern gear. Just think if all the gear was modern or if they were riding brand new SkiDoo sleds. I think it would look kind of silly.

...I agree, having a Hollywood movie 'look kind of silly' would indeed set a shocking precedent ! I wonder what fraction of the viewing audience will be noticing the correct 'vintageness' of the scuba gear and demanding a refund if they saw a 2012 reg rear it's ugly head in this movie ?

Aqua-Andy
January 16th, 2012, 02:18 PM
...I agree, having a Hollywood movie 'look kind of silly' would indeed set a shocking precedent ! I wonder what fraction of the viewing audience will be noticing the correct 'vintageness' of the scuba gear and demanding a refund if they saw a 2012 reg rear it's ugly head in this movie ?

Good point. I waiting to see how Hollywoodised this movie will be. Is the only actual event that they portray in this movie going to be a whale got stuck? I sure hope not.

halocline
January 16th, 2012, 05:57 PM
It looks more like a MK5 than a 10 to me, but I didn't look very close. For ice diving, I hope it's packed!

chile7236
January 16th, 2012, 08:02 PM
It looks more like a MK5 than a 10 to me, but I didn't look very close. For ice diving, I hope it's packed!

it's drew barrymore...i hope it's not ;)

couv
January 17th, 2012, 11:08 AM
The knurled knob puts it at a 109 as the Balanced Adjustable/156 had a slotted adjustment knob. www.scubaproregulatormuseum.org/The_Regulators/Second_Stage/second_stage.html (http://www.scubaproregulatormuseum.org/The_Regulators/Second_Stage/second_stage.html) Of course it could be a 109 upgraded to BA. A better picture (or younger eyes) is needed to I.D. the first stage.

The mask seems a bit anachronistic though.

Well, let's hear some!

akdeepdiver
January 17th, 2012, 01:17 PM

There was no need. All of the acctual diving was done at the Seward Sealife Center. Basically they were diving in the aquarium (at a ice free port). The miracles of special effects. Just like the "snow covered Hanger in Barrow" was acctually the one out side of my office on Ft. Richardson in Anchorage, which had a lot of man made and fake snow spread around it (because the movie was shot in the summer). The film crew was a big pain in my ass since they thought my parking lot for my emergengeny responders was thier private parking lot. One guy acctually chewed out one of my unit for parking there and causing him to park on the street and walk 500 yards. I finnally had to post a SGT. at the entrance every morning to only allow members of my unit in our parking lot. They also got pissed off one day, when the sirens on our apparatus were wailing as we left the station on the way to a response. Asked us next time, when we responded to a call, could we please keep the sirens off until a mile down the road so we didnt interup them.

CPH
January 18th, 2012, 04:33 PM
How bloody sad are you all.
Drew Barrymore.................Scubapro regs..............Hmmmmm, I know what I was looking at!!!

g1138
January 31st, 2012, 01:58 AM
How bloody sad are you all.
Drew Barrymore.................Scubapro regs..............Hmmmmm, I know what I was looking at!!!

The awkward front slide entry? The modern day crushed neoprene drysuit? Drew's awesome trim?

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1