one week Florida end January - where to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

empeg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

looks I'm going to spend around 8 days in Florida starting Jan 27 and I'm looking for interesting diving. My colleague told me about Lemon Sharks, I also know that there are some interesting wrecks around. Can you suggest best locations / operators for that time of year ? Thanks!

Greg

Key Largo.

Hi Greg.
Not knowing your cert level, I can only broadly mention a few spots you might like to dive.

Broward County - there are close to 80 wreck sites nearby and the reef system is a 3-tiered system starting at 20ft and going to 60ft. My dive operator of choice in Pompano is Scubatyme Dive Charters - 954-786-0909

Palm Beach County - similar dive sites to Broward County, but dives tend to be in the 70-90ft range. Currents can be strong as well.

Keys diving is a bit more detailed. Generally the middle to upper Keys have the best diving, although Key West does now have the wreck of the Vandenberg. Several other well-known wrecks in the keys are the Speigel Grove, The Duane, The Bibb and the Eagle.

You mentioned Lemon Sharks. they are starting to arrive in Palm Beach County, but they are not here in full force yet. Still, there are operators in Palm Beach county that are starting to do trips. Jupiter Dive Center, Emerald Charters and Jim Abernethy Scuba Adventures are all dive ops that I have used up there ( sorry, I don't have their numbers handy).

If you're interested in any video of your dives, sent me a private message or you can contact me via the website below.

Thanks for ideas!

Doug - AOWD (+Nitrox), so 90ft is not a problem. I don't have much wreck experience, so I'm not looking for anything more advanced on that field.
And I never saw any lemon shark - so it would be nice to see one. :)

I second Key Largo. The Spiegel Grove, in particular, is a great wreck -- you could do many dives on it and not get bored and there's nothing terribly difficult about it. The upper parts are at 60-65 ft and pretty much everything you want to see is between there and 100 ft. Plus, the reefs are all protected and in great shape with lots of wildlife. Many good operators and lot's of choices.

Thanks guys.
One more - can anyone suggest good place to stay in
Key Largo ? I'll be traveling alone, diving, and I'll not mind having some beer company in the evening.
:wink:

Ah..piwo.

For lemon sharks, best bet is Jupiter. Do a google. Lots of beer establishments in Jupiter and neighboring Palm Beach Gardens. There are some decent beer joints in the Keys, but you will have better luck in the lower Keys.

Where to stay on Largo. I usually stay at Ed and Ellen's. Cheap ($59), clean enough and close to everything i needed. Not a 5-star place but good for the four S's. If you or wifey need something more expensive and with a higher star rating it's your choice. If you would be diving out of the Marina at the 100 mile mark there's a Ramada and Holiday Inn on the waterfront. Last time I stayed at the Ramada it was $88 and the Holiday was $114. Lots of other choices though.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom