Diving Key Largo for the first time mid May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wincendf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be diving Key Largo in mid May for the first time ever. I am pretty excited about it too. I do have a few questions though: 1st what can I expect the water temperature to be and 2nd off based on that what kind of wetsuit would be recommended. I am from the Buffalo area so I have only dove cold water, this will be my first warm water experience.

Thanks

Here's a link to our REAL-TIME Calendar showing dive conditions and water temps from last May 2011. You can expect temps to be in the lower 80's so a 3mil should be fine.
If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Diving,

80 degrees = no wetsuit necessary but some people have a habit of getting cold easily so you might want to wear a 2-3mm shorty. Hood and booties are a waste of time and money in the Keys.

80 degrees = no wetsuit necessary but some people have a habit of getting cold easily so you might want to wear a 2-3mm shorty. Hood and booties are a waste of time and money in the Keys.

I do get cold easily and was very comfy in a 3 mil and a hoodie.....

:)

I have yet to use a wet suit here in Key Largo... but I am built like a Manatee! :D Whatever you wear, you can be sure you'll have lots of fun!

I almost always wear a hood, helps prevent all manner of minor head bumps and scrapes, and I never need to adjust the mask strap. Booties are also a necessity for comfort in open heel fins.

But if water is low 80's I might consider a swimsuit. Mid summer, it's perfect, but I do get cold easily, and a wetsuit isnt a hassle.

Between now and then? I'm wearing a drysuit! 72-74 is cold! :)

When I've dived in the Keys in 79º water (just checked my log), I wore my 3mm fullsuit. I would have been chilly without it. In fact on the four-dive day I was chilly on the last dive, even with it, and some of the other folks in our group (also in 3mm suits) just didn't do the last dive because they were cold. This was in November, so it's possible you might have warmer topside temps in May (as I remember it, air temps were in the mid- to high-70's but I didn't write it down), and that may affect things.

It's clear from other responses in the thread that "warm" people might not need a suit; but I wouldn't say it's a given that you'll be comfortable without one.

I am comfortable in just a dive skin once the water hits the mid-80's and with warm topside temps (full-on summer).

Even when the water is 80 to 85 I still wear a full 3 mil. Generally speaking, if you get hot you can let in water to cool yourself off. If you get chilled it's not so easy to fix while in the water. Remember, if your body temp is 98 and the water temp is 80 that's still a 15 degree difference and you will feel the difference. I tend to be on the chilly side tho - I tried to wear a rash guard in 85 degree water and came back after the first dive looking for my 3 mil! You're going to love diving in the Keys!

I'll be down that way in May too!

I always wear at least a 3/2mm not for just warmth, which may or may not be needed in 80F+ waters, but for the protection against fire coral, jellyfish, whatever. I've seen some nasty sores on arms etc., where the owner had no idea what they had bumped up against. But they looked cool bare cheasted until there stuff got all diseased and infected. :shocked2:

Here is one of my favorite places to eat in Key Largo.
The Fish House Restaurant and Fish House Encore in Key Largo, Florida Keys

Good Luck and have Fun!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom