Support needed San Diego area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrogenius

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,
I just joined this group as I will be in SD shortly and I am looking for some support to dive there once I get there
I am Frank from Germany and a Dive addict since 5 years with app 500 dives. I am into all kinds of diving including Closed Circuit, Trimix and Cave..
Since I will only be able to bring little of my gear and only OC, firstly to dive I will need some Twin-tanks and weights. So any hints welcome where I can get some at a decent price in San Diego or close by. All the dive shops I found on the internet somewhat seem to have gold plated equipment or something and twintanks I did not find at all..
So any hints welcome..
Once I have that sorted out I am looking for ideas for dive spots. Shore dives are ok and also Solo would be ok.. Would be just good to know where best to get in and out :)
Of course I would also be happy if someone wanted to show me around to some dive spots in the area
Thanks so far.. Will let you know when I have the exact dates for my trip..
Cheers,
Frank

SoCal Technical Divers

I'd suggest that you visit the SoCal Technical Divers website and see if they can give you some specific answers about tech diving and tech gears in San Diego.

I am in the Los Angeles area and the only tech oriented store I know of up here is Hollywood Divers. There are other dive shops that train and equip tech diving, but Hollywood Divers tend to have a large selection of equipment for rent.

Thanks for the hint..
Well if necessary I might just drive up to Hollywood to get some gear :D
Isn't that far after all at least as long as I can get around rush hours :wink:

There are several good dive sites, but none of them are really for the technical divers. Lugging double-tanks setup to dive at Palos Verdes peninsula is really a waste of effort.

There is an artificial wreck called the USS Palawan in San Pedro, and it's definitely deep enough for technical diving (135-ft to the sand), but hardly any boat charter would go there unless it's chartered by the SoCal tech divers.

If you just want to do recreational diving, then that's easy. But if you want to do something challenging, that's harder to accomodate, at least not without resources.

Thanks mate.. I am set up with an easy independent double mounting rig.. So I will start out trying the SD area first ;-)
Maybe next time heading to LA then ..

Frank, good luck with your move across the world! I a new diver, so I couldn't begin to tell you where to make the most of your skills here in SD, however, I can tell you that I've found House of Scuba to be one of the cheaper places to buy gear out here. Ignore their web pricing as they post MSRP, but just call/email them for the 'local' price. They'll also price match their products with any website. They also offer fill cards that work out to only costing $3 per air fill. (And no, I don't work there... I just like them)

Thanks for the hint..
Do they also rent equipment?

Back
Top Bottom