Back to Shaw's Cove [Video]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
After a very enjoyable dive at Shaw's Cove in Laguna Beach in late November (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/403595-video-shaws-cove-thanksgiving-morning.html), we decided to head back there this past weekend to see if we couldn't get lucky again.

We hoped to explore some of the channels and swim-throughs. Conditions were decent enough for us to get into a few of them before having to turn back. We spent the rest of the dive exploring the outer reef and kelp. Still getting comfortable with the new camera, but managed to get some usable footage:

[vimeo]35307378[/vimeo]

:D

Very fun dive!! I'm so glad we went back in for the second dive....too bad our fourth buddy didn't join us for the dive.

The video turned out great! Keep 'em coming :)

Wow... looks like the Garibaldi where out in full force. Cool Video, thanks for sharing!

Great video. Any sign of Froggy the frogfish?

I agree cool video. Thanks for sharing. The valleys and topography are an interesting structure. Lots of urchins...

The only thing that gets me is I kept seeing the tiny bubbles in the water going..."Get out of there!" Must be more of a NorCal thing, cause when we see bubbles or green grass, you are in a dangerous place about to get worked! We head the other direction>>> Story from another diver at Lobos, "There I was holding my scooter surrounded by bubbling water, so I went up to take a look around, and the next thing I know I am on top of the rock high and dry. Then getting smashed by another wave, as I crawl back into the ocean." That was somewhere South of Whalers Cove around Granite Point Wall, which as you know is fully exposed to the Pacific Ocean.

Appreciate you and Jen being such good models. :)

Sucks Stephen chose to only do the first dive over at Crescent. This one was much better.

Can't wait for Saturday on the Spectre. Will be fun to see what video we can get on the Anacapa reefs.

:D

Very fun dive!! I'm so glad we went back in for the second dive....too bad our fourth buddy didn't join us for the dive.

The video turned out great! Keep 'em coming :)

Wow... looks like the Garibaldi where out in full force. Cool Video, thanks for sharing!

They were indeed. :) Thanks for watching!

That was awesome!

Really appreciate it!

Great video. Any sign of Froggy the frogfish?

Thanks so much. No sign of Froggy. I wish we'd come down when he was first spotted. We asked a few other divers and they too hadn't seen him. Hopefully he'll make a reappearance soon.

It's a fun site, especially on calmer days when you can get back into the nooks and crannies.

I hear you about the bubbles usually being a sign of impending doom (I have my own "fun" story about seeing them at Lobos as we ascended into a whirpool outside of Whaler's...). Indeed, it can be a washing machine at this site when the swell is up. On this day, however, it was actually pretty calm. We were working our way down the channel (against flow), in shallow water, with the bubbles mostly just crashing above us. We've dived the site enough to know when it's worrisome, and this wasn't bad at all. We did reach a point, though, where it would have been dicey to continue, so we just turned around and rode the surge back out. :)

I agree cool video. Thanks for sharing. The valleys and topography are an interesting structure. Lots of urchins...

The only thing that gets me is I kept seeing the tiny bubbles in the water going..."Get out of there!" Must be more of a NorCal thing, cause when we see bubbles or green grass, you are in a dangerous place about to get worked! We head the other direction>>> Story from another diver at Lobos, "There I was holding my scooter surrounded by bubbling water, so I went up to take a look around, and the next thing I know I am on top of the rock high and dry. Then getting smashed by another wave, as I crawl back into the ocean." That was somewhere South of Whalers Cove around Granite Point Wall, which as you know is fully exposed to the Pacific Ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom