Quick question re: Zeagle Stiletto dump valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tenover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just bought my first BCD, a Zeagle Stiletto, and hooked up all my gear to my tank to make sure all checked out good. This being my first set of gear, I'm wanting to make sure I understand all of it and what is "normal" and/or what is NOT. I inflated the BCD using the low pressure inflator, and when it was full, I heard air coming out of one(maybe both) of the rear dump valves on the BCD. It eventually stopped, and I'm thinking this was a built-in "over inflation" dump....I thought I remembered hearing about that being a feature in many BCDs....I can reproduce this at will by inflating the BCD from the tank at will. Again, after it gets to a point (Still with a full vest), the sound stops. Advice? Suggestions? Just me being paranoid?? Thanks in advance.

This is not only normal but designed that way. All BCD's do this. If they don't they need to be repaired.

That's what I thought...Just wanted to cover my bases. Thank you.

If they don't the bladder will need replacing after it explodes. :)

That is normal, the dumps are acting as overpressure vents. As a general rule, I don't suggest you inflate the BC to that point. It should not hurt it but still there is no need to stress the material unnecessarily and there is no good reason to do it. Just fill the bladder until it's almost full, then pull the dump valves to make sure they are not stuck and you are good.

Hmm,
I just ordered a Zeagle express tech and the cleaning video shows inflating the bladder with water until it open and looks like a sprinkler, I was under the impression that is part of the per dive maintanace. So I doubt that air would be bad for it.

Highflier

Back
Top Bottom