Do we need to use the butt plate.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I normally dive with Faber 85's and I dont ever notice them getting positive toward the end of a dive but recently I dove with a set of AL80's and once they got down to about 1500 psi the bottom of the cylinders began to float. I understand this is a common issue but during the dive I decided to just clip off the bottom of the cylinders to my waist D-ring and they rode great throughout the whole dive. This left me wondering do I even need a butt plate?

I hate the butt plate and prefer old school for the reason mentioned. I like the carrbiner attachment at the waist like was standard for sidemount,which always kept the tanks in place,no matter what the bouyancy level was like. One day,sidemounters will discover this,and as they say,what goes around,comes around.

Seems easier than trying to attach small weights like I have seen some SM divers do between dives. and you can do it mid-dive if necessary. I'll have to try moving them to the d-rings next time I use aluminum cylinders.

As the al80 tanks are "top heavy" (and "bottom floaty") wouldnt having a bit weight at the bottom be handy if you need to unclip them for example for going through restrictions? (Where thats an issue of course)

I have done some dives with A-80's on trips and I needed weights on the cam bands. You can rotate the weights to the inside to minimize the line trap.

There is no need for a butt plate on SM configuration. Using a waist D-ring is more than adequate. I know some divers who have two waist D-rings and they switch to the second towards the end of the dive. Still others strap a weight to the bottom of the tank on the CAM band before diving. I've not known anyone to attach a weight to the tank mid-dive but stranger things have happened.

I know some divers who have two waist D-rings and they switch to the second towards the end of the dive.

I've seen the waist d-ring secured with a non-toothed retainer - allowing the d-ring to be re-positioned during the dive. As the tanks get more buoyant, just slide the d-ring forwards on the waist strap. It worked well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom